My redmine web site not working anymore after update && upgrade, Linux Mint 17.

Michel Gauvin

Jan 10, 2016, 5:12:35 PM1/10/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello,

I did a update && upgrade on my computer running Linux Mint 17.  This computer runs a redmine web site, but it is not working anymore.  Look in the attachment to see if there is something obvious.

I have no experience with Passenger, I have configured the redmine web site following procedure.

Let me know if there are commands I can execute to provide more information.

Thanks,

Here's a portion of the apache2 error.log:

[ 2016-01-10 16:53:56.1062 16849/7fa5d4215700 age/Cor/App/Implementation.cpp:304 ]: Could not spawn process for application /usr/share/redmine: An error occurred while starting up the preloader.
  Error ID: 4227bcf4
  Error details saved to: /tmp/passenger-error-B8VJxh.html
  Message from application: Bundler::PermissionError (Bundler::PermissionError)
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/shared_helpers.rb:116:in `rescue in filesystem_access'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/shared_helpers.rb:114:in `filesystem_access'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/definition.rb:267:in `lock'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/environment.rb:34:in `lock'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:44:in `setup'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler.rb:92:in `setup'
  /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/bundler-1.11.2/lib/bundler/setup.rb:18:in `<top (required)>'
  /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
  /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/phusion_passenger/loader_shared_helpers.rb:430:in `activate_gem'
  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/phusion_passenger/loader_shared_helpers.rb:297:in `block in run_load_path_setup_code'
  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/phusion_passenger/loader_shared_helpers.rb:435:in `running_bundler'
  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/phusion_passenger/loader_shared_helpers.rb:296:in `run_load_path_setup_code'
  /usr/share/passenger/helper-scripts/rack-preloader.rb:100:in `preload_app'
  /usr/share/passenger/helper-scripts/rack-preloader.rb:156:in `<module:App>'
  /usr/share/passenger/helper-scripts/rack-preloader.rb:30:in `<module:PhusionPassenger>'
  /usr/share/passenger/helper-scripts/rack-preloader.rb:29:in `<main>'

passenger-error-VQGGUm.html

Daniel Knoppel

Jan 10, 2016, 8:39:47 PM1/10/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I see a permission error. Can you check that your application directory isn't owned by root? Apache runs as www-data and won't be able to access it.

See also:

- Daniel

Michel Gauvin

Jan 11, 2016, 7:35:50 AM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello Daniel,

I'm a beginner here, so I'm not sure where the application directory is located, can you send me a command line which I can use to find where it is located? If after locating it and the permissions is root root, what should I do?

Thanks,

Michel

Tinco Andringa

Jan 11, 2016, 9:47:25 AM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi Michel,

The application directory is in /usr/share/redmine. Your problem seems to be caused by the way Redmine was installed. If it was from Linux Mint package repository you should e-mail them that you had a problem. If someone installed it by hand, you need someone with basic linux system administration skills to make sure upgrades like these go right. File permissions have to do with the security of your machine, you have to fully learn unix/linux file permissions before you proceed.

Kind regards,
Tinco

Michel Gauvin

Jan 11, 2016, 10:25:25 AM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions, ti...@phusion.nl
Hello Tinco,

Althoug I'm a beginner with Ruby and Passenger I know the basics of Linux like the file permissions and how to changed them.  I have developped a few applications under Linux (in C code), wrote a few shared libaries and wrote a few bash scripts, so I'm not totally beginner with Linux nor an expert, so this should give you an overview of my linux knowledge.

I have installed manually Redmine a year ago by following some procedure on redmine.org.  My site has been up and running until last saturday when I decided to update my Linux Mint 17 computer. I did the following:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After I did that my redmine website returned some errors, which is probably different than the one I sent.  So, then I panicked, and tried to re-install Ruby (I took these lines from here):

sudo apt-get install ruby1.9.3 ruby1.9.1-dev ri1.9.1 libruby1.9.1 libssl-dev zlib1g-dev
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/ruby ruby /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 400 \
         --slave   /usr/share/man/man1/ruby.1.gz ruby.1.gz \
                        /usr/share/man/man1/ruby1.9.1.1.gz \
        --slave   /usr/bin/ri ri /usr/bin/ri1.9.1 \
        --slave   /usr/bin/irb irb /usr/bin/irb1.9.1 \
        --slave   /usr/bin/rdoc rdoc /usr/bin/rdoc1.9.1

sudo gem update
sudo gem install bundler

The error message from my first post comes from this state.

It is still not working and I don't want to mess things more than it is. Is there more information that I can provide to help you help me?

Thanks,

Michel

Daniel Knoppel

Jan 11, 2016, 11:11:11 AM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
@Michel

If you look at the documentation link I posted you'll see it talks about "config.ru". You can look for it in the directory tinco posted (/usr/share/redmine), or search for it.

If the access rights are the problem then we can't really tell you how to adjust the rights because it depends on your system and what kind of security measures you want. In any case it should not be root (you could try www-data for example, but better to have a user). If you set owner / rights you should probably set them on the whole application folder recursively, too.

- Daniel

Michel Gauvin

Jan 11, 2016, 11:26:26 AM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. Right now I don't have any concerns regarding security, all I want is to be able to run redmine again, I will then look at the security after.  Here's what I'll do, I`m going to make an image of my computer using clonezilla, so I'll be able to put it back to the actual state. I will then try to change file permissions.  I will also create a new Virtual Machine and install a brand new Redmine and look at the file permissions.

Indeed, the config.ru is own by root and the group is root also.  Is it possible that the owner/group gets changed when doing an update/upgrade?

Thanks for the help,

Michel

Daniel Knoppel

Jan 11, 2016, 12:04:42 PM1/11/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
With sudo, anything's possible :-)

I would guess though that the redmine install tells you to explicitely change the user to "redmine" or something. Have a look in their instructions. And of course a backup is always a good idea.

- Daniel

Michel Gauvin

Jan 12, 2016, 7:11:43 AM1/12/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello,

All my files and directories permissions in /usr/share/redmine was set to root:root for some reasons (maybe something I've done after the update/upgrade).  I have look at another installation of Redmine on a raspberry pi 2 that I have and all the files and directories permissions are set to www-data:www-data.  So, I made the change and everything is now working.

Thanks for the help and have a good day,

Michel