Errors on the Apache error logs on the servers intermittently

Barry

Aug 10, 2015, 6:58:46 PM8/10/15
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

We are seeing these errors on the Apache error logs on all the servers intermittently.  During the time we see this error, all the applications stop responding for a few seconds and the calls time out. So, this is impacting Customers across the board. Currently we are using Passenger-3.0.15. We would like to know why this issue is causing and how to fix this issue. Please let me know.

[ pid=31554 thr=47968769222976 file=ext/apache2/Hooks.cpp:789 time=2015-08-06 11:09:22.829 ]: Either the vistor clicked on the 'Stop' button in the web browser, or the visitor's connection has stalled and couldn't receive the data that Apache is sending to it. As a result, you will probably see a 'Broken Pipe' error in this log file. Please ignore it, this is normal. You might also want to increase Apache's TimeOut configuration option if you experience this problem often.

Thanks,
Barry

Tinco Andringa

Aug 11, 2015, 6:05:36 AM8/11/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

I don't recognize the error from any past Passenger bugs, but please know that Passenger 3 is very old and Passenger has gone through 2 major versions since then. We highly recommend you upgrade to a recent version of Passenger 5 or at least Passenger 4.

Could it be a network issue?

Kind regards,
Tinco

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Bhargav Dasari

Aug 11, 2015, 2:48:52 PM8/11/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tinco,

Thanks for the fast response, I have found similar issue which was posted long before. Here is the url of the old post

I see in the comments upgrading to new version of passenger solves the issue. But I want to know why this issue is happening.

Thanks,
Barry

Tinco Andringa

Aug 12, 2015, 7:14:43 AM8/12/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
We don't know, it's only reported by you and that guy, and only in Passenger 3. If you really want to know why it happens you will have to debug it yourself, but I'm not sure why you would want to since it seems both Passenger 4 and Passenger 5 solve the issue.

Hongli Lai

Aug 12, 2015, 4:58:14 PM8/12/15
to phusion-passenger
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Bhargav Dasari <bhargav....@gmail.com> wrote:
But I want to know why this issue is happening.

This "issue" occurs in the scenario exactly as the error message says: the visitor probably clicked "Stop" in the browser, or there was some kind of connection problem on the Internet. Newer versions of Passenger "solve" this problem by not displaying the message. The condition is not fatal, there is nothing you can do about it, and we've found that telling sysadmins about it only scares them, so we've removed the message.