How to enable IPv6 support in nginx/passenger

Matthew Cowgur

May 2, 2016, 4:32:51 PM5/2/16
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I've installed nginx/passenger on Ubuntu 14.04 via the Phusion APT repository, but I don't think IPv6 support has been enabled in nginx. When I run nginx -V I don't see "--with-ipv6" in the configuration.

So: if I'm correct so far, how can I enable IPv6 support in the nginx? And I've seen some other posts here about IPv6, and it seems like I might need to do some special configuration of Passenger as well. Can anyone point me to a guide for what I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Knoppel

May 2, 2016, 5:57:37 PM5/2/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
You can add the `--with-ipv6` flag when running passenger-install-nginx and choosing option " 2. No: I want to customize my Nginx installation."

- Daniel

safetypin

May 3, 2016, 10:35:11 AM5/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
So, there is a "passenger-install-nginx" command that is an alternative to using the Phusion APT repo? I don't have that command in my path, is it a ruby command? Where is it usually located?

Daniel Knoppel

May 3, 2016, 11:35:55 AM5/3/16
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 4:35:11 PM UTC+2, safetypin wrote:
So, there is a "passenger-install-nginx" command that is an alternative to using the Phusion APT repo?

No, it's part of every Passenger install.

I don't have that command in my path, is it a ruby command? Where is it usually located?

I don't know your OS but if you've followed our tutorial on installing through apt, then in the same place as passenger-config. For me it's in /usr/bin/
No, not in particular. `passenger-install-nginx` is the guide in itself, it helps you through the process.

safetypin

May 3, 2016, 3:55:35 PM5/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04. I found the install script, and I've got basic nginx functioning, but the passenger part is not working. I'm serving several web sites, and the ones that don't use passenger are now functioning, but when I visit a URL that should give me a rails application, I get no response, and I don't see any errors in the error log. I see messages indicating that Passenger watchdog is starting and stopping.

I'm using the same nginx server config files that I was using before, and Passenger appears to be listening, but for some reason the requests are not be passed from nginx to Passenger. I get an empty response error page in my browser.

Thanks so much for your help.

Here's the virtual host configuration: http://pastebin.com/bE8pVh1s

Here's the main nginx configuration: http://pastebin.com/BqgFsa20

safetypin

May 3, 2016, 4:18:53 PM5/3/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
erg.. looks like i was loading old configuration files, referencing some experimental stuff. i'm going to have to wait a few days for my DNS entries to refresh before I can actually test out the ipv6 functionality, but thanks for your help so far. it looks like i have nginx and passenger working properly with ipv6 support. thanks!