How to set a process timeout with Apache?

fair...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2015, 5:22:44 PM8/27/15
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're using Apache 2.4.7 with Phusion Passenger 4.0.37.

We've checked manuals and searched the web and can only find discussion of timeouts for a process to start:

but can't see a way to set a timeout limit for a process we launch (in case it hangs).

Are we missing something obvious?

If there's not a straightforward setting is there a standard workaround? Any other site we should check?

Any suggestions appreciated, including other sites we might try.

Thanks in advance!

Hongli Lai

Aug 28, 2015, 6:01:46 AM8/28/15
to phusion-passenger

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

fair...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2015, 8:29:03 AM8/28/15
to Phusion Passenger Discussions, hon...@phusion.nl

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 6:01:46 AM UTC-4, Hongli Lai wrote:

Great start, thank you!

It looks like the feature we're looking for, PassengerMaxRequestTime, is only available in the Enterprise version --we've been very happily running Open Source.

__1. Are there any standard workarounds in Open Source?
__2. Is there any way to access Apache directly (if Apache itself has a similar MaxRequestTime feature)?

Thanks!

Hongli Lai

Aug 28, 2015, 10:54:20 AM8/28/15
to fair...@gmail.com, Phusion Passenger Discussions
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:29 PM, <fair...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great start, thank you!
>
> It looks like the feature we're looking for, PassengerMaxRequestTime, is
> only available in the Enterprise version --we've been very happily running
> Open Source.
>
> __1. Are there any standard workarounds in Open Source?

No "standard" workarounds, but you can script together a few things by
parsing passenger-status output if you really want to.

> __2. Is there any way to access Apache directly (if Apache itself has a
> similar MaxRequestTime feature)?

No. There is a way to limit the request time, but that only closes the
connection, it doesn't actually terminate the process so your app will
just stay in a stuck state in the background.