I'm Getting a method missing error when executing rvmsudo passenger-install-apache2-module

LightBe Corp

Feb 4, 2016, 12:14:26 PM2/4/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

Yesterday I was able to install Passenger 5.0.22 (open source) on my development server without any problems. I attempted to install Passenger 5.0.24 (enterprise) on my production server and I get the following error when executing rvmsudo passenger-install-apache2-module

[myrailsapp]$ rvmsudo passenger-install-apache2-module

Password:

/Users/myuserid/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/specification.rb:2159:in `method_missing': undefined method `this' for #<Gem::Specification:0x007fef43018f58> (NoMethodError)

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/specification.rb:1057:in `find_active_stub_by_path'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/2.3.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:64:in `require'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/gems/passenger-enterprise-server-5.0.22/bin/passenger-install-apache2-module:18:in `<top (required)>'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/bin/passenger-install-apache2-module:23:in `load'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/bin/passenger-install-apache2-module:23:in `<main>'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `eval'

from /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `<main>'

I also had the same problem when I attempted to execute rvmsudo passenger-install-apache2-module after uninstalling 5.0.24 (enterprise) and installing 5.0.22 (enterprise).

Here are my statements in the Apache config file:

# Phusion Passenger
LoadModule passenger_module /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/gems/passenger-enterprise-server-5.0.22/buildout/apache2/mod_passenger.so
<IfModule mod_passenger.c>
  PassengerRoot /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/gems/passenger-enterprise-server-5.0.22
  PassengerDefaultRuby /Users/myuserid/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.3.0@mygemset/wrappers/ruby
</IfModule>
PassengerDebugLogFile /var/log/apache2/passenger_error_log

Here are the versions of RubyGems and RVM I have installed on both of my servers:

[~]$ rvm -v

rvm 1.26.11 (latest) by Wayne E. Seguin <waynee...@gmail.com>, Michal Papis <mpa...@gmail.com> [https://rvm.io/]

[~]$ gem -v

2.5.2

I'm not sure if the code for passenger-install-apache2-module changed from yesterday to today or if I need to run something on my production server. This is the first time I remember getting this error. After doing web searches I have not been successful in finding any information where other people encountered this error with Passenger.

Hongli Lai

Feb 4, 2016, 12:41:51 PM2/4/16
to phusion-passenger
That looks like a problem in RubyGems. Either your RubyGems database
is corrupt, or there is a bug in RubyGems. I don't think Passenger has
anything to do with this.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/d2ef63d3-be4a-4433-9988-941cdf49f95a%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Bernard & Pamela Dreyer

Feb 4, 2016, 12:43:51 PM2/4/16
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I was not sure where to look. I updated to the current stable version. That could explain the difference in my development and production servers.

Thanks!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/CAM3ce8HCyg7C_womPvfUfJi-d978s3YfF8f4nZgS8iELFTkDtA%40mail.gmail.com.

Bernard & Pamela Dreyer

Feb 4, 2016, 1:04:21 PM2/4/16
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hongli,

That was the problem. I executed gem pristine —all and now I’m able to execute rvmsudo passenger-install-apache2-module again.

Thanks!