Permission denied(13) error after execute "sudo yum update"

Liz Huang

Nov 29, 2016, 1:31:11 PM11/29/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

My web apps in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 by Ruby On Rails + Passenger are working
until this morning after I did "sudo yum update". The error I got is:

An error occurred while starting up the preloader. It exited before signalling successful startup back to Phusion Passenger.
Please read this article for more information about this problem.

Raw process output:

/bin/bash: /home/lxh37/.bash_profile: Permission denied

*** ERROR ***: Cannot execute /home/lxh37/.rbenv/versions/2.2.3/bin/ruby: Permission denied (13)

I read the linked article, don't find anything useful. Wonder if this is new bug? New happened
before as I have to do "sudo yum update" every month.

Thanks!
Liz

Liz Huang

Nov 29, 2016, 10:50:13 PM11/29/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

I mean that I have to do "sudo yum update" every month, but didn't have this issue before.
If further information needed for investigation, please let me know. Thanks!
Now I have to take down all three web apps.

Liz

Camden Narzt

Nov 30, 2016, 11:30:11 AM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
RHEL 7.3 updated their SELinux userspace and it represents a breaking change (as you've found) we've updated our SELinux policy in our rpm for passenger 5.1.0, so waiting for that is one approach. Another is to make your webapp selinux compliant by relabeling the files under selinux.

To summarize the contexts that I've found to be good fits:

start by setting everything in your app dir to httpd_sys_content_t
then set the log & tmp dirs & their contents to httpd_sys_rw_content_t
and then set the *.so files to httpd_unconfined_script_exec_t

If you are pursuing this approach, you will also have to relabel the rbenv files in your home directory, which are a bit more sensitive. You'll have to look at the labels available and choose ones that allow your webserver access but don't jeopardize your security.

Liz Huang

Nov 30, 2016, 1:09:25 PM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

Thanks for your quick reply. May I know the release date for passenger 5.1.0?
I feel uncomfortable to relabel the rbenv files in your home directory if it might
jeopardize the security if I don't do everything right.

Thanks!
Liz

Camden Narzt

Nov 30, 2016, 2:22:57 PM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We're planning on releasing 5.1.0 in the next few days.

Liz Huang

Nov 30, 2016, 2:39:53 PM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

Thanks! Is there a list that I can be added to get notification when it is released?
Is there anything else I need to do to fix the problem other than install the new
release 5.1.0?

Best
Liz

Camden Narzt

Nov 30, 2016, 3:37:58 PM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We announce releases on our blog, which has an rss feed: https://blog.phusion.nl/rss/

Liz Huang

Nov 30, 2016, 3:43:24 PM11/30/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions

I try to subscribe to the feed, but it is currently broken...

Liz

Hongli Lai

Dec 1, 2016, 3:52:13 AM12/1/16
to phusion-passenger
What exactly do you mean by broken? If I visit the feed then I get a proper feed XML.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Liz Huang

Dec 1, 2016, 9:39:01 AM12/1/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions, hon...@phusion.nl

I got a page with

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

and XML code...

Daniel Knoppel

Dec 1, 2016, 9:44:55 AM12/1/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Try Firefox or install an RSS reader plugin in your browser.

- Daniel

Liz Huang

Dec 1, 2016, 9:51:15 AM12/1/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions