passenger enterprise installation options

Jay Howard

Jul 19, 2016, 6:31:02 PM7/19/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
We currently use open-source Passenger (installed as a gem) with httpd.  The gem provides a command that builds a module, which we then load in the httpd conf file.

We're planning to migrate to nginx in the near future.  From what I gather nginx doesn't have modules, so so Passenger support must be baked in at build-time.

There is a version of nginx built with Passenger support that's available the CentOS repos we have configured.  For ease-of-maintenance reasons I'd like to use it if at all possible.

So should I expect to be able to use Passenger Enterprise with this pre-built nginx package?  i.e. Is it simply a matter of specifying a license key in a configuration file somewhere, or does Passenger Enterprise require special binaries?

Hongli Lai

Jul 20, 2016, 4:35:15 AM7/20/16
to phusion-passenger
Our Passenger Enterprise YUM repository already provides an Nginx
package with Passenger Enterprise support built in. You can just use
that. Just follow our installation guide: it will teach you how to use
our YUM repository, how to install the license key, etc.

--
Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Jay Howard

Jul 20, 2016, 11:18:49 AM7/20/16
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome.  Thanks Hongli.

If we wanted to move to Passenger Enterprise in the interim, i.e. before we migrate from Apache to Nginx, what's the procedure there?

cam...@phusion.nl

Jul 20, 2016, 4:20:51 PM7/20/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions, jho...@alumni.utexas.net
Hey Jay,

You have a few options if you want to switch to Passenger Enterprise, the general approach would be to remove your existing passenger install, buy a license, and install the Enterprise Edition. (https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/install/apache/upgrading_from_oss_to_enterprise.html)

More specifically, the approach that is most similar to your current method of installation is to switch to the enterprise gem. You can see the procedure for installing the gem (without rvm) here: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/ownserver/apache/enterprise/rubygems_norvm/install_passenger.html

If you use rvm then use these instructions: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/ownserver/apache/enterprise/rubygems_rvm/install_passenger.html

If you want to get away from using the gems to install then you would follow the instructions here: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/ownserver/apache/enterprise/install_passenger_main.html

Jay Howard

Jul 20, 2016, 5:01:22 PM7/20/16
to cam...@phusion.nl, Phusion Passenger Discussions
Excellent.  Thanks so much for pointing me to the right docs.  Apologies for having to ask here.