Apache and Passenger Standalone

Kenneth Mundt

Jun 25, 2015, 1:22:03 PM6/25/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm trying to deploy my first Rails, and web, application on a VPS with Ubuntu 15.04 and LAMP-server installed (so big newb here with easy questions).

As I don't have any knowledge of Apache, I chose the Passenger Standalone as suggested by the Passenger installation guide.

When in my application's root directory and running "passenger start" it seems to be working. However, when trying to visit the domain in a browser, I still get the Apache default page.

Should I uninstall Apache or change something in a file somewhere in order for the website to show?

Best regards

Kenneth

Hongli Lai

Jun 25, 2015, 3:58:14 PM6/25/15
to phusion-passenger
That's because Passenger Standalone runs on port 3000, while Apache
runs on port 80. The default HTTP port is 80, so your browser ends up
connecting to Apache.

Try disabling (or uninstalling) Apache, then follow our Passenger
Standalone deployment walkthrough:
https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/
It teaches you how to deploy Passenger Standalone on port 80.
> Should I uninstall Apache or change something in a file somewhere?
>
> Best regards
>
> Kenneth
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/b08de3a2-1d66-4156-8574-3f52d4d91f1b%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Kenneth Mundt

Jun 25, 2015, 5:54:49 PM6/25/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com, hon...@phusion.nl
Thank you. I'll give that a shot.