Request for comments: is this new Passenger error page more clear?

Hongli Lai

Jul 22, 2016, 4:28:53 AM7/22/16
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
If Passenger fails to spawn the Ruby app because of a problem reported
by the Ruby app itself (e.g. an exception during Rails startup) then
Passenger shows that in a nice error page:

https://blog.phusion.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/errorpage.png

However I have noticed that some people struggle with what this error
page is actually trying to tell you. Some people do not understand
whether the problem is caused by Passenger or whether the problem is
in the app, and some people do not understand where to look for a
solution.

In light of this, I'm trying to redesign the error page in a way
that's more transparent about what Passenger is doing and which
component exactly failed. I'm also redesigning the error message to be
(hopefully) more helpful. Here is a mockup of the redesign:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn9GhKGW8AAOlL2.jpg
(Note: the Comic Sans font is courtesy of Balsamiq, a mockup tool.
Don't worry we won't use this font in the final, but the mockup is
supposed to look sketchy.)

What do you think? Is this an improvement? Does it make it clearer
what the actual problem is? Does it help you find the solution?

--
Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Hongli Lai

Jul 22, 2016, 7:38:31 AM7/22/16
to phusion-passenger
Based on feedback I made a new mockup (two pages):

http://i.imgur.com/SBUVGpb.png
http://i.imgur.com/11WK92z.png

The simplified view is shown if Passenger knows that the error came
from the app (which is true 90%) of the time. The detailed view is
shown if something went wrong before Passenger was able to start the
app. Is this better?