Warning: Operation not permitted @ rb_file_chown - /tmp/passenger.Mg2itd9/

User90210

Jan 13, 2017, 5:30:22 PM1/13/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I have Nginx integration mode for Meteor on Ubuntu 16.04 (running a couple of applications).

Running command
passenger-config restart-app /var/www/myapp/bundle

I get warning:

*** Cleaning stale instance directory /tmp/passenger.Mg2itd9

Warning: Operation not permitted @ rb_file_chown - /tmp/passenger.Mg2itd9/.
Restarting /var/www/myapp/bundle/public

Any clue why is that?

Daniel Knoppel

Jan 16, 2017, 5:02:55 AM1/16/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
The error suggests access rights on /tmp are not set correctly.

You recently wrote that you were hacked, is this a fresh system?

- Daniel

User90210

Jan 16, 2017, 5:37:36 AM1/16/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
It does indeed.. Do you think it's OK to delete it? And then maybe another will be created with a proper permissions?

It is on a different system. Actually I managed to get access to that server and Mongo seems to be configured correctly:

# /etc/mongodb.conf

# mongodb.conf

# Where to store the data.
dbpath
=/var/lib/mongodb

#where to log
logpath
=/var/log/mongodb/mongodb.log

logappend
=true

bind_ip
= 127.0.0.1
#port = 27017

# Enable journaling, http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Journaling
journal
=true

# Rest is commented out...

Daniel Knoppel

Jan 16, 2017, 1:52:27 PM1/16/17
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
It would be easiest to set the permissions:

sudo chmod 1777 /tmp
sudo chown root.root /tmp

If for some reason the /tmp dir is not usable (e.g. sometimes the dir is locked down or periodically autocleaned), you can ask Passenger to use a different dir via passenger_instance_registry_dir: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/config/nginx/reference/#passenger_instance_registry_dir

(and the status tool will need PASSENGER_INSTANCE_REGISTRY_DIR in the environment)

- Daniel