Official passenger el7 repo is broken

Maciej -

Nov 22, 2016, 8:35:35 AM11/22/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hello everyone, I will cut to the chase. Epel repo has updated nginx to 1.10.2 and so "yum update" installed nginx from epel repo, and now everything is borked... I can't simply disable epel repo, because other dependencies from there are needed to install passenger. This is actually quite terrible I thinks you should rename your custom  nginx packages to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

Regards, Maciej

Daniel Knoppel

Nov 22, 2016, 12:40:30 PM11/22/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Passenger also needs epel to be enabled -- so don't disable it.

What OS are you on exactly?

- Daniel

Maciej -

Nov 22, 2016, 2:28:34 PM11/22/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I'm on CentOS 7, epel  has upgraded nginx and changed dependencies, so yum pulled nginx-all-modules  nginx-mod-http-geoip nginx-mod-http-image-filter nginx-mod-http-perl  nginx-mod-http-xslt-filter  nginx-mod-mail  nginx-mod-stream. I had to remove it and downgrade nginx and nginx-filesystem to 1.10.1. Now I know that I can't trust passenger repo to be safe...

Daniel Knoppel

Nov 23, 2016, 6:10:29 AM11/23/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Our package builder has a line that is supposed to prevent CentOS from doing exactly this: https://github.com/phusion/passenger_rpm_automation/blob/master/specs/nginx/nginx.spec.erb#L37

We're currently testing why this appears to not work anymore in some specific cases (it's good that you let us know), and see if we can get a fix out.

Btw. I would advise you never to just upgrade without testing or the ability to rollback. We don't control the modifications that other packages make and there is always some risk with any software changes no matter where it comes from.

- Daniel

Daniel Knoppel

Nov 23, 2016, 7:16:21 AM11/23/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
By the way: I created an issue report: https://github.com/phusion/passenger/issues/1895

It also includes a workaround to fix the override until the next release (which will also include Nginx 1.10.2, and with a much higher Epoch number so the OS won't try to override this again in the future).

- Daniel

Maciej -

Nov 23, 2016, 8:19:33 AM11/23/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Yes, I know it was my fault, it wasn't production server so I used -y to make it faster... However don't you think that if someone provides custom compilation of nginx package it should have different name, like "nginx-passenger" or something like that?

Daniel Knoppel

Nov 23, 2016, 8:42:56 AM11/23/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I think there are valid arguments for both sides.. we made a choice to use the same name for reasons of user-friendliness: it overrides the system nginx and we avoid a lot of problems and confusion related to duplicate installs.

On the downside it means we have to make sure system doesn't override us back, which hasn't happened for many years. The new epoch fix will make it very unlikely for the system package to ever override even if its own epoch is increased (and we will re-check this for future nginx releases to make sure).

- Daniel

Maciej -

Nov 23, 2016, 9:28:02 AM11/23/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Nice, thanks for the answers.

Cahyadi Triyansyah

Dec 2, 2016, 4:45:17 PM12/2/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
I experienced the same problem

I was a little disappointed with "Phusion passenger" My application is no longer running after this incident

Hongli Lai

Dec 5, 2016, 4:51:51 AM12/5/16
to phusion-passenger
We are working on a release. If you cannot wait then you can choose to install Passenger from RubyGems or tarball which do not have this problem.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Cahyadi Triyansyah <sundi3...@gmail.com> wrote:
I experienced the same problem

I was a little disappointed with "Phusion passenger" My application is no longer running after this incident

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)