Control preloader idle time in Passenger 5 Standalone?

Karl Svec

Jun 19, 2015, 2:31:19 PM6/19/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is it possible to control the preloader process idle time (when using the smart spawn method) in Passenger 5 standalone?

The option is documented for Nginx and Apache:

but appears to be missing in Passenger 5 standalone (5.0.10).

By any chance, is this option exposed in the new HTTP JSON API?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm using Passenger 5 standalone's built-in engine.

Thanks,

- Karl

Hongli Lai

Jun 20, 2015, 4:26:22 AM6/20/15
to phusion-passenger
You can configure it in Passenger Standalone through advanced
configuration: https://www.phusionpassenger.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Standalone.html#advanced_configuration

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 8:31 PM, Karl Svec <ka...@agsolver.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to control the preloader process idle time (when using the
> smart spawn method) in Passenger 5 standalone?
>
> The option is documented for Nginx and Apache:
>
> https://www.phusionpassenger.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Nginx.html#_passenger_max_preloader_idle_time_lt_integer_gt
> https://www.phusionpassenger.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html#PassengerMaxPreloaderIdleTime
>
> but appears to be missing in Passenger 5 standalone (5.0.10).
>
> By any chance, is this option exposed in the new HTTP JSON API?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Karl
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/eba6006f-423b-4bd5-af90-dcabc1d3dce1%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion B.V. | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 63501007 (The Netherlands)

Karl Svec

Jun 22, 2015, 2:13:22 PM6/22/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com, hon...@phusion.nl
Does using the Nginx configuration template work with Passenger 5 standalone's built-in HTTP engine? I was aware of that configuration option, but my assumption was that it only worked with the Nginx engine.

Thanks,

- Karl

Hongli Lai

Jun 23, 2015, 3:04:48 AM6/23/15
to Karl Svec, phusion-passenger
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Karl Svec <ka...@agsolver.com> wrote:
> Does using the Nginx configuration template work with Passenger 5
> standalone's built-in HTTP engine? I was aware of that configuration option,
> but my assumption was that it only worked with the Nginx engine.

The config template only works with the Nginx engine.

I have just added the --max-preloader-idle-time parameter so that you
can use it with the builtin engine too. You can expect this feature in
5.0.11. https://github.com/phusion/passenger/commit/1925548dc08b8e353c5739e59bae2462ee0338d4