Deploy with meteor bundle and passenger - “you are using a pure-JavaScript implementation of bcrypt” deployment

ignl

Oct 5, 2016, 5:18:29 AM10/5/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Hi,

I am trying to deploy meteor app with passenger and it seems to be working, however I don't know how to install bcrypt npm package. I keep getting "you are using a pure-JavaScript implementation of bcrypt" warning. I tried to install bcrypt in various directories in bundle but nothing seems to solve it. Here is my thread in meteor forum: https://forums.meteor.com/t/deploy-with-meteor-bundle-you-are-using-a-pure-javascript-implementation-of-bcrypt/29968/1
Would appreciate any help.

Daniel Knoppel

Oct 7, 2016, 4:16:26 PM10/7/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Please post full logs and error output, as well as your platform and commands you are executing (how you are bunding, running, what config, etc).

Installing a package with npm is just "npm i bcrypt", but maybe something else is wrong.

- Daniel

ignl

Oct 8, 2016, 12:25:12 PM10/8/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
There are no errors. I deploy application exactly like in a guide and it works fine. After running npm itnstall --production I do try to run  npm install bcrypt. It works (no errors, solved all the issues) but after restarting an application I still see the "you are using a pure-JavaScript implementation of bcrypt" message in /var/log/nginx/error.log. Since meteor 1.4 bcrypt needs to be rebuild but unfortunately it is not acknowledged in passenger guide so I don't know if I am on the right path.

Daniel Knoppel

Oct 10, 2016, 5:47:00 AM10/10/16
to Phusion Passenger Discussions
Aha, then it appears the problem is not related to Passenger. We don't provide any instructions for modules that we can't control or fix, but some googling suggested that you try to run "npm rebuild": https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/7773

- Daniel