Passenger 5.0.5 crashing after a few requests

Samuel Williams

Mar 31, 2015, 3:49:59 AM3/31/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I just set up a new server using Arch and having constant crashing after a few minutes/requests. Any ideas?

Attached log files. I have more I can attach, let me know if that would be helpful.

Kind regards,
Samuel
passenger-crash-log.1427764710
passenger-crash-log.1427786945

Hongli Lai

Mar 31, 2015, 7:27:46 AM3/31/15
to phusion-passenger
Thanks for reporting this bug. It appears to be an issue in the
turbocache w.r.t. handling the "Location" response header.

Does /welcome/contact-us/index generate a Location header? Could you
show me the full response headers for that URL?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/0cb83b72-e788-4a66-ab3f-f2e4016a5163%40googlegroups.com.

Phusion | Web Application deployment, scaling, and monitoring solutions

Web: http://www.phusion.nl/
E-mail: in...@phusion.nl
Chamber of commerce no: 08173483 (The Netherlands)

Samuel Williams

Mar 31, 2015, 8:16:12 AM3/31/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com

Does this help?

ayako% curl --resolve 'www.nrexports.co.nz:80:127.0.0.1' --head www.nrexports.co.nz

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently

Connection: keep-alive

location: /welcome/index

date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:15:31 GMT

x-rack-cache: miss

Server: nginx/1.6.2 + Phusion Passenger 5.0.5

ayako% curl --resolve 'www.nrexports.co.nz:80:127.0.0.1' --head www.nrexports.co.nz/welcome/index

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Connection: keep-alive

cache-control: max-age=3600

date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:36:17 GMT

x-content-digest: 0e03580b8a632e1e7b126d10c5bc66b75a2ccf0a

age: 2368

x-rack-cache: fresh

Server: nginx/1.6.2 + Phusion Passenger 5.0.5

Hongli Lai

Mar 31, 2015, 8:38:53 AM3/31/15
to phusion-passenger
Under what circumstances would a client send a POST request to
/welcome/contact-us/index?

Does /welcome/contact-us/index respond identically to GET as to POST requests?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/b3d64907-c773-4225-86a2-f0ab8e042676%40googlegroups.com.

Samuel Williams

Mar 31, 2015, 4:41:46 PM3/31/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think any part of the system is posting to that URL. There shouldn't be any reason why it's handled any differently though.

I've installed the bug fix update 5.0.6 - have you considered using valgrind to find memory errors?

Hongli Lai

Apr 1, 2015, 6:43:06 AM4/1/15
to phusion-passenger
We did. Valgrind is not showing any errors in the relevant code. We'll
continue the investigation.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/phusion-passenger/b1511cba-76b6-4db1-b35f-63ca248f9963%40googlegroups.com.

Daniel Knoppel

May 11, 2015, 6:55:55 AM5/11/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
@Samuel are you still seeing issues after 5.0.6?

Meanwhile, a more detailed inspection of your second trace reveals that it happened while someone did a POST to http://www.nrexports.co.nz/welcome/contact-us/index (probably by filling out the contact form on that page). According to the trace, the app responded with:
---------------
HTTP/1.1 302 Whatever
location: success
content-length: 10
date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:29:05 GMT
x-rack-cache: invalidate, pass
connection: close

Status 302

On your live site which appears to be running 5.0.6 the submission seems to work (sorry for the spam), is it something that happens just sporadically?

- Daniel

Daniel Knoppel

May 15, 2015, 11:10:09 AM5/15/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com