Passenger Enterprise 5.0.6, Ruby 1.8.7-p374, and Rails 2.1.0

Sean Patrick Hagen

May 4, 2015, 12:52:46 AM5/4/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to upgrade a production server to take advantage of the enterprise features in Passenger.

Currently, the server is running the open source Passenger ( 4.0.14 ), installed as a gem under RVM.

I've downloaded and extracted the latest enterprise tarball into /usr/local/passenger-enterprise-5.0.6, and run the passenger-install-apache2-module using rvmsudo.

Once that was done, I created a passenger-enterprise.conf and passenger-enterprise.load in /etc/apache2/mods-available ( named them that way so they don't clobber the existing open source passenger configs ).

After removing the open source config symlinks in /etc/apache/mods-enabled and symlinking the enterprise configs to that directory, I restarted Apache. Right away, this is what started showing up in the log files:

[Sun May 03 21:17:02 2015] [error] (13)Permission denied: exec of '/var/www/apps/project_name/current/public/dispatch.cgi' failed

After 'chmod 755'-ing the file, I get this:

(2)No such file or directory: exec of '/var/www/apps/project_name/current/public/dispatch.cgi' failed

In the vhost specific log files, this is what shows up:

Premature end of script headers: dispatch.cgi, referer: https://project.company.ca:8436/track/overview

I'm not sure why Apache is attempting to use dispatch.cgi, from what I've read that's a FastCGI thing and shouldn't be happening when Passenger is running.

These are the mods that are currently running in Apache:
  • alias
  • auth_basic
  • authn_file
  • authz_default
  • authz_groupfile
  • authz_host
  • authz_user
  • autoindex
  • cgid
  • deflate
  • dir
  • env
  • mime
  • negotiation
  • passenger ( the open source version )
  • reqtimeout
  • rewrite
  • setenvif
  • ssl
  • status
Should I disable any of these?

I've considered that I should switch the current open source Passenger to be the tarball and uninstall the gem -- might make it easier to ensure that the open source version isn't still being invoked somehow due to RVM weirdness.

Daniel Knoppel

May 4, 2015, 4:18:53 AM5/4/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
The latest version is 5.0.7 (not 5.0.6), and it contains an apache2 configuration validator that might help. You can run it with "passenger-config validate-install --validate-apache2"

- Daniel

Sean Patrick Hagen

Jun 10, 2015, 8:38:25 PM6/10/15
to phusion-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Just installed 5.0.9, ran the command you suggested, and did both options ( validate passenger, validate apache ). Both of them say everything is fine, but I'm still getting the same error as before.