How do we get more people to join this group?

Eric Caron

Jan 29, 2013, 3:45:33 PM1/29/13
to php-...@googlegroups.com
Can someone go through the bugs, as well as websites talking about the extension, and invite them to this group so we can start more conversations happening?

Lukasz Kujawa

Jan 30, 2013, 10:15:31 AM1/30/13
to php-...@googlegroups.com
Let me comment on getting people into this group. I'm worry that many of them might not be using the extension due to its problems with Solr4. I've seen solutions in PHP rendering massive XML files and using post.jar for inserting data into a server. Consider releasing new sable version first and then educating the community. We can do three things:

1) Go to big communities which are using Solr for example eZPublish ask about their problems, announce the new version and give the group link.

2) Increase peoples awareness (and interest) by creating a blog post about using Solr in PHP. Put group details at the end of the post and encourage people to be active. Announce the post on popular PHP aggregators like: DevZone, Planet PHP, etc.

3) Get an article on PHP Architect.

Scott Yeadon

Jan 30, 2013, 3:58:10 PM1/30/13
to php-...@googlegroups.com
I know of a couple of groups who have upgraded to Solr4 due to improvements in spatial search features (one group has written their own internal API) so I think it is important to time the PECL Solr releases as close as possible to the Solr releases. I have Eric's Git version currently installed - the reason I stuck with PECL Solr rather than change clients is that it has very few dependencies and a nice API compared with other PHP clients I looked at.

Eric Caron

Jan 30, 2013, 8:24:10 PM1/30/13
to php-...@googlegroups.com
These are all great ideas!!! I think you're absolutely right that getting a 1.1.0 release that's Solr4 friendly should be our #1 priority.

Nick's working on contacting providers to get us access to a hosted Solr4 server that we can run tests against. While Nick is doing that, I'm doing:

Based on SemVer (http://semver.org/), 1.1.0 is the proper next release - right?