Request a vote to expel Agavi

Robert Hafner

May 11, 2016, 1:55:39 PM5/11/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

Almost a year ago we brought up a list of inactive projects, of which Agavi was at the top as they had missed numerous votes. Promises were made for better engagement, but unfortunately it does not appear that those were met.

According to the current spreadsheet Agavi has missed the last three votes. This is on top of the missed votes from last year. In addition Agavi has less than 5k downloads via packagist.

Since we’re tossing projects I figure now is a good time to consider this.

Rob

Andrew Carter

May 11, 2016, 2:04:10 PM5/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I'd agree with this. Inactive projects contribute nothing and affect quorum.

Korvin Szanto

May 11, 2016, 2:31:52 PM5/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
:+1: Thank you for raising this issue Robert

Chris Tankersley

May 11, 2016, 2:38:18 PM5/11/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
:+1: from Sculpin. I'm fine removing projects that just aren't participating.

-Chris

Chris Tankersley
http://ctankersley.com

Jeroen De Dauw

May 11, 2016, 2:44:40 PM5/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
+1 to starting a vote from SMW and Wikibase

Adam Culp

May 11, 2016, 3:04:18 PM5/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
While I do not think popularity should be criteria, because it can be misleading, I do agree that inactivity should be a consideration. But rather than voting to expel has anybody reached out to them and discussed a voluntary withdrawal instead of making it political?

Christopher Pitt

May 11, 2016, 3:12:53 PM5/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I agree with Adam, and would like to make a further point. The secretaries should be managing these votes as they oversee engagement and enforce bylaws. At the very least, they should be part of the conversation before it goes to a vote, and I doubt any of them would have supported such an escalation.

Alexandru Guzinschi

May 12, 2016, 4:43:41 AM5/12/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
If voting members of this group should learn something from recent events, is should be the fact that download count should not be used as a metric to determine a project's success and/or size of its user base.

Alexander Makarov

May 12, 2016, 5:41:59 AM5/12/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Absolutely. This case is about inactivity though.

Alessandro Lai

May 12, 2016, 6:05:48 AM5/12/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
As stated by the secretaries in the other thread https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/php-fig/e9qZue8nZXM
I think the FIG should refrain from this kind of votes untile the 3.0 proposal is put into place. The new FIG setup should make all these considerations irrelevant; I do think anyhow, like others in this thread, that downloads and usage are a poor and difficult metric, and that non-participation is troublesome.

Dracony

May 13, 2016, 5:06:13 PM5/13/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Maybe try asking the maintainer (David) first? Perhaps he'll just forefeit the membership voluntarily, without having to go through the vote? It'll save time for everyone.

David Zülke

May 20, 2016, 3:55:52 AM5/20/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was briefly tempted to forge Agavi's download statistics on
Packagist to make it appear more popular, but who would do such a
thing ;) so I have no problem with voluntarily forfeiting my
membership on behalf of the project, especially since it's been
inactive for a long while and I have no time to participate in
discussions here.

I can always re-apply if I get back into the business of writing PHP frameworks!

David

Phil Sturgeon

Jun 1, 2016, 11:25:33 AM6/1/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group