Framework terminology update

Dracony

Feb 17, 2015, 10:09:45 AM2/17/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
While discussing my previous topic on stackoverflow the problem of the "MVC" terminology popped up.
So as Anthony Ferrara and Paul blogged about what we have in most of the frameworks currently is not really MVC, even though everyone has adapted to refer to it this way.

Apparently there is no real name for it right now, although as Paul suggested we can tun it into ADR by splitting the Controller into Actions and Responses.

So how about ending the confusion and finding a name for this model and its components and rename Controller to something else accordingly. Then perhaps in later iterations of the actual frameworks these naming conventions can be adopted and we'll drop the MVC tag forever ?

FGM at GMail

Feb 17, 2015, 10:12:27 AM2/17/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, the Symfony documentation, and fabpot himself, are rather
adamant about Symfony NOT being MVC. Same for Drupal, even before the
SF2 switch in D8.

Roman Tsjupa

Feb 17, 2015, 10:16:35 AM2/17/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Exactly. Instead of saying that a framework isnt something wouldn't it be much more productive to say that it is "something" and link to an appropriate PSR or something with further details on that "something" ?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PHP Framework Interoperability Group" group.

Philip Sturgeon

Feb 24, 2015, 8:39:13 AM2/24/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
While this does sound like something that would be good education, it seems that making a PSR to try to "officially" weigh one side of an argument seems like some rather over the top semantic w**kery.

Roman Tsjupa

Feb 24, 2015, 8:46:10 AM2/24/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Is there really an argument? Nobody really believes the "PHP MVC" frameworks to have anything to do with actual MVC, do they ?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Philip Sturgeon <pjstu...@gmail.com> wrote:
While this does sound like something that would be good education, it seems that making a PSR to try to "officially" weigh one side of an argument seems like some rather over the top semantic w**kery.

Stefano Torresi

Feb 24, 2015, 9:04:04 AM2/24/15
to php...@googlegroups.com

Is there really an argument? Nobody really believes the "PHP MVC" frameworks to have anything to do with actual MVC, do they ?

I don't think this is exactly an approach anybody would actually endorse. Software design patterns are like recipes: they are subject to interpretations and subtle variations, and trying to tell everybody "your interpretation has always been wrong, here is a variation you should embrace" is spartan madness.