Clarifying New Membership Votes under FIG 3.0

Chris Tankersley

Feb 13, 2017, 5:30:05 PM2/13/17
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
There's been some confusion over the entrance vote procedure for Phergie and why I called for two votes, and the visibility of only one thread depending on your e-mail client. So hopefully this will help clear things up.

Per the new voting bylaws for FIG 3.0 [1], Membership Votes require two separate votes - one for the Core Committee members, and one for the Project Members. Each set of votes must have a 50% majority to pass. If the vote passes both groups, then the project is admitted as a member.

The first instance we have had of this new voting procedure is with Phergie. Since this is a new member project, it requires the new two votes rule.

While there is work being done on a vote tracker system, in the meantime I opened up two e-mail threads to track the votes, one for CC members and one for Project Representatives. Google Groups and Gmail decided that was a bad idea, and are doing some really funky things with the threading. To combat this, I manually created a new topic in Google Groups. That doesn't satisfy Gmail though, so if you use Gmail, it probably all looks like one thread. Which it shouldn't be, because they have different subjects.

Ideally, CC members should be voting here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/php-fig/fmPUDVxk8Ls
and Project Reps should be voting here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/php-fig/VRj9rTXYK-Q

If you vote in the wrong thread it's not a big deal, I'm going to have to manually untangle this all anyway thanks go Gmail and Google Groups.

Not all votes require this dual-house setup. To summarize the new voting bylaws:

* PSR Entrance Vote - CC only vote, 50% quorum and 2/3 majority to pass
* PSR Readiness Vote - PSR Working Group votes, 50% quorum and 2/3 majority to pass
* Approval Vote - CC only vote, 50% quorum, 2/3 majority to pass
* Deprecation - CC only vote, 50% quorum, 2/3 majority to pass
* Abandonment Vote - CC only vote, 50% quorum, 2/3 majority to pass
* Membership Vote - CC and Project Reps vote in separate pools, 50% quorum and 50% majority to pass
* Expulsion Vote - CC and Project Reps vote in separate pools, 50% quorum and 50% majority to pass
* Recall Vote - CC and Project Reps vote in separate pools, 50% quorum and 50% majority to pass
* Bylaw Vote - CC and Project Reps vote in separate pools, Project Reps vote do not need a quorum and but do need 2/3 majority, CC need 50% quorum and 2/3 majority
* Anything else - CC and Project Reps vote in separate pools, Project Reps vote do not need a quorum and but do need 50% majority, CC need 50% quorum and 2/3 majority

In any case of both CC and Project Reps are voting, and a member (such as myself) is both a Project Rep and a CC member, that person gets 1 vote as a CC member only, and no vote as a Project Rep.

Hopefully that clears things up, and once the voting app is ready that will help clear up all the visual confusion Google has made of this.

If any of the above needs corrected, feel free to correct me :)

-Chris