[Proposal] FIG 3.0 - Core Committee name

Larry Garfield

Apr 27, 2016, 7:18:45 PM4/27/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Here's another one, and a simple one:

I really hate the name "Core Committee". It's generic, bland, lends
itself to the absurdly long "Core Committee Member" term, and is just
all around my least favorite part of the proposal. :-) Unfortunately,
I've typed it enough that I can't think of an alternative now.

Someone please suggest something better, lest we end up with ImPHPerial
Senators. :-)

Please bikeshed.

--Larry Garfield

Woody Gilk

Apr 27, 2016, 7:28:01 PM4/27/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

Community Committee?

Alessandro Lai

Apr 28, 2016, 4:19:49 AM4/28/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
What about a generic "core group"?
In this way, you could shorten it to "FIG core member"...

Other proposal: commission - commission member?

Dracony

Apr 29, 2016, 6:31:59 PM4/29/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Just Commitee maybe ? The Core part can be dropped imho

Larry Garfield

May 5, 2016, 4:17:54 PM5/5/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
On 04/28/2016 03:19 AM, Alessandro Lai wrote:
> What about a generic "core group"?
> In this way, you could shorten it to "FIG core member"...
>
> Other proposal: commission - commission member?

Well, I'm trying to get away from "X member". I think that's the part
that bugs me. Which sounds less pompous: FIG Commissioner (member of
the FIG Commission), or FIG Councillor (member of the FIG Council)? We
could also stick "Community" before either of those if we wanted.

--Larry Garfield

Kayla Daniels

May 6, 2016, 9:13:21 PM5/6/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I prefer FIG Councillor over Commissioner.

Wait, do we have anyone named Gordon? That might sway my vote towards using Commissioner.

Kayla

Larry Garfield

May 7, 2016, 11:46:18 AM5/7/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
It's too bad Committee doesn't have an inherent member name.  I guess it would be... Committer?

... WAIT!!!

--Larry Garfield

Roman Tsjupa

May 7, 2016, 2:44:50 PM5/7/16
to PHP FIG

Associate ?

It sounds like sonething a bit nore than just "member" and doest sound as posch as "core member"

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PHP Framework Interoperability Group" group.

Josh Di Fabio

May 8, 2016, 6:42:25 AM5/8/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Is discussing this issue the best use of people's time? Can't you just
choose something which isn't awful and move on?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CANamvv02rdpqNdwFnNKe6s7TVhU1M-3WR6OOZpyvwyZ%2BM1iL1A%40mail.gmail.com.

Larry Garfield

May 8, 2016, 8:20:24 PM5/8/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Given how little discussion there is of anything else right now, this
thread isn't getting in anyone's way. There seems to be very little
pushback on the rest of the proposal so nitpicking details seems to be
all there is to do. I assume that's because almost everyone thinks it's
great. :-)

--Larry Garfield

Dracony

May 9, 2016, 5:33:14 AM5/9/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Returning to the topic, what do you think of Associate?

Paul Jones

May 9, 2016, 9:00:41 AM5/9/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

> On May 8, 2016, at 19:20, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>
> There seems to be very little pushback on the rest of the proposal

Little public pushback, anyway. I'm pretty sure it's not that great an idea, but other commitments prevent me from giving it the full attention it deserves.

> I assume that's because almost everyone thinks it's great. :-)

Heh. :-) In that spirit, recall only that "silence is not assent."

--

Paul M. Jones
http://paul-m-jones.com

Korvin Szanto

May 9, 2016, 3:25:36 PM5/9/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Honestly the best suggestion I've heard so far is "Committer". Even though the members of the core group might not have commit access it just sounds a lot less pretentious to me.

Thanks,
Korvin

Kayla Daniels

May 10, 2016, 11:33:50 AM5/10/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I think Committer would be easily conflated with having commit access to the repos which may or may not be true of all members of the as-of-yet-unnamed group.

Kayla

Jason Coward

May 10, 2016, 12:36:18 PM5/10/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I thought I would contribute an idea to this. How about instead of "core committee", you have the FIG Cadre, with members of this "nucleus of effort" being referred to as Cadres or Cadre Members. It's at least shorter, if not too archaic.