PSR-5 Update and Sponsor still wanted

Mike van Riel

Jun 5, 2015, 7:14:10 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

In the last months the work on getting PSR-5 ready for review has stalled due to personal circumstances on my end and because I have had to choose to spend most of my time on working on phpDocumentor.

Given the long time it is in draft now and that I will have more time available in the upcoming time I intend to push the PSR-5 to a close, but only if there is still support from this group. So far there have been two calls for a sponsor to replace Phil after he has left the group and that brings me to the following cross-road:

1. Accept that there is not enough animo or trust left to bring this to a proper end
2. Ask again for a new sponsor

As you can tell, I have chosen for option 2. I have hope that there is enough interest left and if not I will have no other choice to retract PSR-5 from PHP-FIG as it cannot carry forward as two sponsors are required according to the bylaws.

Regarding the current state of the effort is a most of the specification written but it comes down to several discussions that are going on and writing down the results from those discussions.

The following open issues exist:

- Associative array notation
- Using @method to augment third-party class definitions
- Generics
- Inline PHPDoc notation
- If Yield needs a separate notation
- Constraints (i.e. if an @param should only accept a specific amount of options)
- Adding a new @inheritDoc tag
- The new @mixin tag
- Inheritance clarifications

These are all items that either need to be written, described, thought of or even rejected; after that a proof-read by several people is required before I think it is ready for review.

If people are still interested in this effort, now is the time to come forward as a sponsor,

Thanks for your attention,

Mike

Michiel Rook

Jun 5, 2015, 7:49:20 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I don't think I have the time to sponsor PSR-5 (that is, if I don't
overestimate the amount of work required), but I do support the proposal
and the push to get it done.

cheers,

Michiel

Bernhard Schussek

Jun 5, 2015, 8:39:30 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hey :)

I would very much like this PSR to be finished and I think there's no-one better than you to do it. I'm currently too involved in too many other areas, otherwise I would very much like to sponsor you.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Beau Simensen

Jun 5, 2015, 9:58:28 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Given the long time it is in draft now and that I will have more time available in the upcoming time I intend to push the PSR-5 to a close, but only if there is still support from this group. So far there have been two calls for a sponsor to replace Phil after he has left the group and that brings me to the following cross-road:

I'll be happy to step up as sponsor and coordinator of PSR-5.

Mike van Riel

Jun 5, 2015, 10:46:03 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Beau,

And thank you for making me aware that not only Phil stepped down but also Donald!

This does mean that we need another sponsor (another one? Yes, another one) to complete the team.

On 05 Jun 2015, at 15:58, Beau Simensen <sime...@gmail.com> wrote:

Given the long time it is in draft now and that I will have more time available in the upcoming time I intend to push the PSR-5 to a close, but only if there is still support from this group. So far there have been two calls for a sponsor to replace Phil after he has left the group and that brings me to the following cross-road:

I'll be happy to step up as sponsor and coordinator of PSR-5.

Larry Garfield

Jun 5, 2015, 10:58:12 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I volunteer as tribute!

--Larry Garfield

On 6/5/15 9:45 AM, Mike van Riel wrote:
> Thanks Beau,
>
> And thank you for making me aware that not only Phil stepped down but
> also Donald!
>
> This does mean that we need another sponsor (another one? Yes, another
> one) to complete the team.
>
>> On 05 Jun 2015, at 15:58, Beau Simensen <sime...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:sime...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Given the long time it is in draft now and that I will have more
>> time available in the upcoming time I intend to push the PSR-5 to
>> a close, but only if there is still support from this group. So
>> far there have been two calls for a sponsor to replace Phil after
>> he has left the group and that brings me to the following cross-road:
>>

>> I'll be happy to step up as sponsor and coordinator of PSR-5.
>>
>> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/2CC4C450-6EA5-4C37-B9B7-F46E68F88575%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/2CC4C450-6EA5-4C37-B9B7-F46E68F88575%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mike van Riel

Jun 5, 2015, 11:21:32 AM6/5/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Super! That is awesome!

Thank you both, I will send you both an e-mail off-list to dot the i and discuss the odd bits :)

Mike
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to php-fig+u...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/5571B8FF.4050900%40garfieldtech.com.

Alexander Makarov

Jun 7, 2015, 5:03:37 AM6/7/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I think phpdoc standard is super-important and I like what I see so far. Most of discussions regarding it are on GitHub as they were before, correct?

Mike van Riel

Jun 7, 2015, 5:09:50 AM6/7/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

The preliminary discussions are indeed still held on Github.

For those wondering (this is a public list ;) ), I do this for two reasons:

1. not to spam this list
2. provide a low(er) threshold for people who want to chime in

When a discussion does not resolve or involves invasive changes / features I take it to the list to gather input and make decisions based on that feedback.

Thanks for your feedback Alexander, it is much appreciated

Rasmus Schultz

Jun 11, 2015, 9:05:07 AM6/11/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Mike/Larry/Beau,

If there's anything I can do to help, get in touch - I have already spent a substantial amount of time debating topics on GitHub (@mindplay-dk) and recently drafted a proposal to add generics.

I'm already pretty heavily invested in this, so, if my writing is to your liking, I'd be happy to contribute, and would also be glad to participate in discussions :-)

- Rasmus

Mike van Riel

Jun 15, 2015, 2:48:06 PM6/15/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rasmus,

Any help to bring this PSR to review is much appreciated. My intention is to see if we can resolve the discussions as soon as we can, write up what is missing and check the document for errors.

I have read your Generics proposal and intend to respond today or in the next few days (depending on how fast I can respond to the rest of my mail). Once we have come to a consensus regarding this feature I would very much like to hold a straw poll here to get a bearing on how much interest there is in this feature.

Kind regards,

Mike van Riel

Todd Chaffee

Jul 15, 2015, 8:27:41 PM7/15/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I am definitely interested in this effort and would like to see PSR-5 completed. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Mike van Riel

Jul 19, 2015, 4:52:10 AM7/19/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello Todd,

Thanks for the offer, it is much appreciated. The focus areas for me are:

- Writing sections (this is the most time-consuming part)
- Discussing things on Github so that we come to a conclusion and can write a section on it
- Proof-reading the document and catching stuff that is illogical, confusing or even contradicting

For one, I know that the ABNF could use some proofreading to make sure I correctly wrote it and captured anything. For some reason I can’t find an ABNF interpreter that can validate an ABNF against a text.

Thanks again,

Mike

On 16 Jul 2015, at 02:27, Todd Chaffee <t...@bluecrow.biz> wrote:

I am definitely interested in this effort and would like to see PSR-5 completed. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Todd Chaffee

Jul 20, 2015, 2:32:45 PM7/20/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I can help with all of these.

I could start with proofreading the document to familiarize myself with it, and since I haven't read it before I should also be able to catch stuff that is confusing or unclear.

What's the best way to read the doc? The link I have points to the doc with all the comments, and is difficult to read.

https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/169/files

Is there a better way to read the doc?

Thanks,
Todd
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PHP Framework Interoperability Group" group.

Alexander Makarov

Jul 20, 2015, 5:33:18 PM7/20/15
to php...@googlegroups.com

Rasmus Schultz

Jul 22, 2015, 3:07:49 AM7/22/15
to php...@googlegroups.com

Mike, the ABNF definitely has some issues, I've spent quite a bit of time on it - for one, it contains left recursion, and could be simplified quite a bit by allowing parens for grouping anywhere, with or without the array `[]` operator.

(I've been trying to implement the ABNF as a learning exercise - I don't really know much about parsers, but got some of the way with peg.js...)

Todd Chaffee

Aug 13, 2015, 1:02:59 PM8/13/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I'm still happy to help with this, but I need more specific direction. Can you send a link to specific documents or sections that need review? Or questions that need to be answered? I can dedicate at least a few hours a week, if not more, until this PSR is finalized.

I'm also available on any kind of chat during PST hours from 9am until midnight if that helps. Sometimes that can move things forward a lot quicker than emails back and forth.

Best,
Todd