Github Permissions Update

Michael Cullum

Jul 9, 2016, 9:40:09 AM7/9/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hi all,

I've just done a bit of updating with regards to github permissions. Those who should have access to things (Ping me if you don't):

  • Every Draft or Review PSR has it's sponsor, editor and coordinator with write access to php-fig/fig-standards, so long as they are voting representatives
  • We have a website team consisting presently of just Jonathan Reinink who has access to the website. At the moment this is more of a discretionary thing for people contributing a lot to the website such as Jonathan who wrote our current site and helps us [secretaries] out regularly with frontend and jekyll stuff.
  • Secretaries are owners
  • Relevant PSR-teams have push access to any particular repos concerning their PSR e.g. the log and cache interface repos.

Should you ever wish to mention PSR's working group [past or present] or the like, all teams are public and @mention-able by their PSR number e.g. @php-fig/psr-5 or @php-fig/secretaries.

I'd also like to extend the privilege of access to php-fig/fig-standards write access to editors who have been around for a while [around in member projects, the FIG or the PHP Community], are trusted but are not voting representatives (e.g. Woody, Matthieu, David and Michael). As the editor they have (as per the bylaws) the final yes/no for what goes into their specifications so not giving them push access seems a little odd. All branches are protected anyway so they cannot force push and any rouge commits would be noticed very quickly so I see little risk. It would also increase the usefulness of @mention'ing the teams of PRs as it would always include the Editor. Are there any objections to this?

Finally, but most importantly, just a regular reminder to those with access, and to those just receiving access, please only ever merge changes which only concern your own [draft stage] PSR; any merges to approved PSRs [typos], the index, licenses or to other PSRs (when the WG is unable to do so) should be left to secretaries (feel free to highlight us with @php-fig/secretaries if you feel we've missed something).

Paul Dragoonis

Jul 11, 2016, 7:55:32 AM7/11/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
All of a sudden my RW access to the website got removed. Can this be reinstated please. Thanks.

Michael Cullum

Jul 11, 2016, 9:23:23 AM7/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hi Paul,

This was back in May. Can I ask what you need access to the website for and we can re-instate it?

It was removed when we did a cleanup because we didn't see a need for you to have access (and abiding by the agreed policy of only give access when it's needed or serves a distinct purpose) and it was, if I recall correctly, removed after you merged a pull request removing member projects from the listing that us [the secretaries] had intentionally not merged as we were waiting on confirmation from member projects concerned.

Whilst Jonathan for example has access to the website repo, he only merges things relating to the styling, formatting and Jekyll stuff without checking with us, not procedural things like the [canonical] member list and as the guy who built essentially the entire site, he knows it better than anyone.

Thanks,
Michael

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com> wrote:
[...]

Paul Dragoonis

Aug 16, 2016, 2:28:47 AM8/16/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com> wrote:
Hi Paul,

This was back in May. Can I ask what you need access to the website for and we can re-instate it?

To continue to maintain the Jekyll, HTML, styling amongst other website related things.

It was removed when we did a cleanup because we didn't see a need for you to have access (and abiding by the agreed policy of only give access when it's needed or serves a distinct purpose) and it was, if I recall correctly, removed after you merged a pull request removing member projects from the listing that us [the secretaries] had intentionally not merged as we were waiting on confirmation from member projects concerned.

I will be no longer merging any "member project" related PR's.

Whilst Jonathan for example has access to the website repo, he only merges things relating to the styling, formatting and Jekyll stuff without checking with us, not procedural things like the [canonical] member list and as the guy who built essentially the entire site, he knows it better than anyone.

You missed a step.

Me, bobthecow and Phil S (amongst others) are the people who built and maintained the php-fig website, for a number of years. We're very happy with the recent skin that Jonathan provided on top. However, the point you're missing is that because a new community member comes along and adds a skin then the existing team gets booted out.

I'd like to be re-instated back into the web team.