Resigning sabre/dav

Evert Pot

Apr 28, 2016, 6:39:40 AM4/28/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hey guys,

After about 7 years of hanging out in this group, I don't really have time to be involved any more. I think I'm unable to make constructive contributions to the discussions that are going on. There's just too much, and I feel I'd be better at writing technical specifications than collaborating on governance and rules.

As such, I'm resigning with no replacement. I can definitely see myself get involved in future technical work, but I don't need to be a voting member for that. And that's totally the way to go for me ;)

I want to make it clear that this is not in protest. On the surface it seems good steps are being made, and I have faith in the few people that are good at this and will eventually facilitate a better process.

Good luck and thanks for having me!

Evert

Paul Jones

Apr 28, 2016, 1:17:29 PM4/28/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 05:39, Evert Pot <ever...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
>
> After about 7 years of hanging out in this group, I don't really have time to be involved any more.

Funny to think it's been seven years.

> I think I'm unable to make constructive contributions to the discussions that are going on. There's just too much, and I feel I'd be better at writing technical specifications than collaborating on governance and rules.

I am suddenly reminded of Pournelle's "Iron Law of Bureacuracy":

> Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people":
>
> - First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.
>
> - Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.
>
> The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.

Via <http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/iron.html>.

Think of that what you wish.

--

Paul M. Jones