[Internal] Secretary Election Calendar and Nominations Open

Michael Cullum

Sep 4, 2017, 7:54:01 PM9/4/17
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hi all,

The boat was unfortunately missed at the beginning of the last month in order to get the ball rolling according to the bylaws for how a secretary election must be held within a month so it was moved to this month, this should have been communicated on the mailing list as well as through other channels, so I do apologise for that failing.

We're electing two secretaries to fill the position vacated by Samantha when she moved to the Core Committee and fill the post previously held by Amanda. Therefore one of the posts (and whoever comes first) will be in post until May 2019, and whoever comes second will be in post until August 2018.

Anyone wishing to stand for secretary must be nominated (details below) by the 14th August at which point a vote will occur starting on the 15th August.

Details on the role: http://www.php-fig.org/bylaws/mission-and-structure/#secretaries

Nominations must be provided by project representatives or FIG secretaries and nominations may be sought by potential candidates by whatever means necessary (Open request to the mailing list, contacting individuals in private etc.). Please don't nominate someone without first checking with them and we strongly recommend that anyone wanting to stand contacts an existing secretary first to get an in-depth idea of what's involved.

The bylaws do state that a secretary must be in place on the last Sunday of the month, however, this isn't possible this month due to the way the weeks have fallen. Therefore I'm proposing the two new secretaries will instead come into post on Sunday 1st October with the following timetable

The timetable will be as follows, subject to change by notification:
  • 4th: Nominations open
  • 14th: Nominations close
  • 15th: Vote begins
  • 29th: Vote ends
  • 1st October: New secretary in office
  • 4th: Monthly FIG Secretaries meeting including those newly elected (Normally held on the last Wednesday of the month but shifted by a week)
It will be performed using STV as per the bylaws, and whoever comes first will get the longest post, whoever comes second will get the shorter term (Joe's term remainder).

Should you wish to stand, I would highly recommend reaching out to an past FIG secretary (myself, Samantha, Joe, or Amanda) to discuss what the role entails; you then need to find someone to nominate you. People who have previously stood for election are eligible to run again.

TL;DR: Nominations are now open for the now two vacant secretary positions.

--
Michael C
FIG Secretary

Woody Gilk

Sep 5, 2017, 2:57:50 PM9/5/17
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I assume that:

Anyone wishing to stand for secretary must be nominated (details below) by the 14th August at which point a vote will occur starting on the 15th August.

Now means:

> Anyone wishing to stand for secretary must be nominated (details below) by the 4th September at which point a vote will occur starting on the 15th September.

?

Michael Cullum

Sep 5, 2017, 5:05:21 PM9/5/17
to FIG, PHP
Ah. Those should both be September dates, apologies for any confusion.

So nominations are due by the 14th September for the vote to start on the 15th September.

Many thanks,
Michael

Michael Cullum

Sep 14, 2017, 1:37:09 PM9/14/17
to FIG, PHP
Hi all,

I'm going to be extending the nomination period by 7 days due to a lack of nominations so far so the new timetable will be:
  • 21st: Nominations close
  • 22nd: Vote begins
  • 6th November: Vote ends
  • 8th October: New secretary in office
  • 11th October: First monthly FIG secretaries meeting including those newly elected
If anyone has any objections, please say.

--
Michael

Michael Cullum

Sep 14, 2017, 1:37:35 PM9/14/17
to FIG, PHP
Vote closes on the 6th October*. Apologies for that typo.

--
Michael C

Michael Cullum

Sep 21, 2017, 6:38:22 PM9/21/17
to FIG, PHP
Hi all,

I'm going to be extending the nomination period one final time. I've had a few people reach out in the past few days who I haven't been able to sync schedules with to speak to about the role. If you're interested, please do let me know.

  • 30th: Nominations close
  • 1st October: Vote begins
  • 15th October: Vote ends
  • 16th October: New secretary in office
  • 25th October: First monthly FIG secretaries meeting including those newly elected
--
Michael C