Enforcing projects have a composer.json

Tim Millwood

Jun 30, 2015, 8:57:26 AM6/30/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Is there any scope for PSR to help enforcing all PHP projects have a composer.json file?

Alexander Makarov

Jun 30, 2015, 9:55:29 AM6/30/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I doubt it... it can't be technically enforced.

Larry Garfield

Jun 30, 2015, 2:40:00 PM6/30/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Not really. A composer.json file is a Composer thing, and FIG doesn't
run/manage/control Composer. Standards for "what dozen integration
files you should have in your project root" are too volatile for a PSR,
and tie into too many networks outside of our control.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/bca5cd55-1a12-4e73-a0ef-603ddc217130%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/bca5cd55-1a12-4e73-a0ef-603ddc217130%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--Larry Garfield

Korvin Szanto

Jun 30, 2015, 2:50:17 PM6/30/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
It could be worthwhile to define a standard file name and format for interop related values parallel to composer.json. Would it be helpful to have a standard option storage location like "fig.json"? For example, PSR-10 could define a format for storing the URI for your security disclosure atom feed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/5592E279.70908%40garfieldtech.com.

Bernhard Schussek

Jul 1, 2015, 4:32:29 AM7/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I think it would make more sense to add that to composer.json. There's no need to add another configuration file here. Also I don't think that a PSR needs to "enforce" projects to disclose their Atom feed in composer.json/fig.json/whatever.

Korvin Szanto

Jul 4, 2015, 12:25:12 AM7/4/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Definitely didn't mean to suggest we enforce anything like that, just recommend a standard name and format with the idea that composer.json would instead try to migrate to this standard file.