referencing external data sources in PSRs

Lukas Kahwe Smith

Feb 5, 2017, 11:44:27 AM2/5/17
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Hello,

while reviewing PSR-11 I noticed that it includes some links to external websites and images that denote download rates. imho its not ideal to do this. or at least where-ever this is done there should be a snapshot of the data should be included.

The rational being that these external data sources can go away and also as time passes the data there will change, which in turn will make it harder to understand the context in which this decision was originally made.

Note this isn't a huge deal and I assume will simply remain as is for PSR-11 but imho it should think about a best practice to handle future cases. I guess in the past we collected such statistics in emails to this list that then got referenced in the PSR ..?

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
sm...@pooteeweet.org

signature.asc

Stefano Torresi

Feb 9, 2017, 3:58:26 AM2/9/17
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
I agree 100%.
I'd also add we shouldn't give download numbers this much relevance in the first place, and that it kinda shows some sort of confirmation bias going on, which we don't really need: the proposal can stand on its own merits.

If nobody objects, I'll wrap a PR up to simplify and finalize this list in the metadoc.