Membership Request: Christopher Pitt (SilverStripe)

Christopher Pitt

Jul 1, 2015, 11:23:47 PM7/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I'm Christopher Pitt. I would like to officially request that SilverStripe be made a member project with me as the representative. Jeremy Lindblom, Paul M. Jones, Nate Abele, and Cal Evans have offered to sponsor this application.

About SilverStripe

SilverStripe is a CMS and framework, first released in 2006, under the BSD license. It's grown to be popular in New Zealand (where the company of the same name was founded). About 50% of the core contributors work for the company  and the rest are from the community. Together these group votes on new members.

I recently joined the company, and became part of a newly formed full-time open source team. We recently mapped out the features in upcoming major versions, which include many developer-focussed improvements to the codebase, including (pending community discussion) PSR-2 and PSR-4 conformity and better module organisation (placing modules almost exclusively within vendor, as opposed to the current pattern of placing them in the site root).

The framework is sitting at around 161k Packagist downloads (since November 2012), 450 stars, and 500 forks. It's depended on by around 1.1k other Composer packages (though many of those are modules/extensions to the CMS).

About The Representative

On July 1st, following code contributor discussions, a vote was taken to determine who the core contributors would like to represent the project. They chose me, under the following conditions:
  • The core team will select the representative by simple vote.
  • The representative will report back to the core team at their monthly general meetings.
  • The vote, to select a new representative, will be held when the representative withdraws, or on majority request by the core team.
  • The vote, to select a new representative, will be held every year.
Happy to talk about personal qualifications if required, but I don't consider them relevant to the discussion at this point... :)

Kind regards
Chris

Jeremy Lindblom

Jul 2, 2015, 12:52:09 AM7/2/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Sponsorship confirmed. SilverStripe via Chris sounds like a good fit for FIG.

-- Jeremy Lindblom
PHP Software Engineer, AWS

Nate Abele

Jul 2, 2015, 9:44:41 AM7/2/15
to php...@googlegroups.com, cgp...@gmail.com
Sponsorship seconded. The significance of SilverStripe within the PHP community should go without saying, and Chris's reputation speaks for itself as well. He'd be great to have around here.

Larry Garfield

Jul 3, 2015, 1:17:30 PM7/3/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
That's one of the most detailed applications I've ever seen. :-)  I have no objection.

--Larry Garfield

Paul Dragoonis

Jul 8, 2015, 10:34:47 AM7/8/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Happy to have you here, and looking forward to see what impact you could make on the group. A big +1 from me.

Some topical questions:
  • Aside from PSR-2/PSR-4 are there any other PSR's that you could potentially intend to take advantage of? (Logging, HTTP?)
  • If you were to see a new PSR worked on what would it be? (just a one-liner, no need for lengthy discussion atm)
Many thanks,
Paul

Christopher Pitt

Jul 8, 2015, 4:06:27 PM7/8/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hey Paul,
  • Aside from PSR-2/PSR-4 are there any other PSR's that you could potentially intend to take advantage of? (Logging, HTTP?)
Logging seems like a good candidate. We love the recent HTTP Message work, but it'll take significant work to replace our own message implementations...
  • If you were to see a new PSR worked on what would it be? (just a one-liner, no need for lengthy discussion atm)
Message queues and workers.

Kind regards
Chris

Sam Minnée

Jul 13, 2015, 9:33:26 AM7/13/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
  • Aside from PSR-2/PSR-4 are there any other PSR's that you could potentially intend to take advantage of? (Logging, HTTP?)
Logging seems like a good candidate. We love the recent HTTP Message work, but it'll take significant work to replace our own message implementations...

Hi everyone, my name is Sam Minnée. I was the original lead dev of SilverStripe, and I am still a core committer, although others tend to do most of the development these days as I have been CEO of SilverStripe Ltd the last few years and sadly get less time to code.

I'm new to this list, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I am very supportive of Chris representing SilverStripe on PHP-FIG, as are the bulk of the other core committers for SilverStripe.

I see adopting PSRs as being important to SilverStripe particularly over the next couple of major releases, with the goal of reducing friction when using SilverStripe alongside other frameworks.

Although it's at an early stage, I'm also keeping an eye on the PSR work around containers (PSR-11, from the looks of things), and cache.

Thanks for your consideration!

-- Sam