[CANCEL VOTE] PSR-7: HTTP Message Interface

Beau Simensen

Apr 1, 2015, 3:36:24 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Since we put PSR-7 up for a vote, a number of issues have arisen that we feel require attention. In most cases these are clarifications that, had they been made during REVIEW, could have been merged without dropping the spec back to DRAFT.

Sadly, since PSR-7 is now up for a vote, we cannot make clarifications to the spec. We cannot even make clarifications after the spec is accepted, either, except by way of annotations and errata in the meta document.

We've weighed the risk of leaving the spec as-is against canceling the vote and making the required changes directly to the spec itself. This has been an ongoing discussion since the middle of last week.

I had a meeting with Mathew and Paul this morning in which we decided that it would be in the best interest of everyone for us to cancel the vote and make the changes directly.

Specifically:

 * clarify the reasons for why the with* methods must return a new instance even if the values do not change in the meta document
 * clarify withScheme in the spec as to :, :// issues
 * clarify withPath/getPath in the spec as to encoding issues
 * add information on how to handle base path issues in the meta document such that getPath() can always safely return at least "/"

There is no set procedure for what happens when a PSR vote is canceled. As best as we can interpret it, the PSR is still actually in REVIEW. As such, consider PSR-7 still in review but the acceptance vote CANCELED.

Furthermore, there was no guidance in the bylaws to state how long a PSR that has had its vote canceled has to wait before going up for VOTE again. As such, we have decided to leave PSR-7 in REVIEW for at least two weeks, starting today, before we will put PSR-7 up for VOTE once again.

With just over 24 hours from PSR-7 being accepted (based on the votes gathered so far) it was a tough call to make but we believe it is the right one.

Jeremy Lindblom

Apr 1, 2015, 3:55:03 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
April Fools?

Beau Simensen

Apr 1, 2015, 4:00:33 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 2:55:03 PM UTC-5, Jeremy Lindblom wrote:
April Fools?

Sadly, no. This is not for April Fools' day.

Jeremy Lindblom

Apr 1, 2015, 4:02:41 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Where is the thread about: "clarify the reasons for why the with* methods must return a new instance even if the values do not change"?

--
Jeremy Lindblom (@jeremeamia)
Software Engineer at Amazon Web Services

Korvin Szanto

Apr 1, 2015, 4:08:03 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you can officially cancel anything on april fools day...

Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Apr 1, 2015, 4:09:14 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Jeremy Lindblom <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where is the thread about: "clarify the reasons for why the with* methods
> must return a new instance even if the values do not change"?

I've opened the following pull requests with the various clarifications:

- Scheme delimiter clarification:
https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/480
- Encoding clarifications: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/481
- New instance clarifications: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/482

Beau is working on the one regarding base path issues.

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Beau Simensen <sime...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 2:55:03 PM UTC-5, Jeremy Lindblom wrote:
>>>
>>> April Fools?
>>

>> Sadly, no. This is not for April Fools' day.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/79fc2d78-7c09-45c7-8852-82e34a59a913%40googlegroups.com.

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/php-fig/CALDVupKuxsezf_NY2zJaAgnGZUYUM1f1g1FUM5SLLt9aGzW4Kw%40mail.gmail.com.

Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweiero...@gmail.com
https://mwop.net/

Beau Simensen

Apr 1, 2015, 4:16:05 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
We are actively working on making the changes Matthew was adding as errata to being properly represented in the spec/meta docs directly.

 * the withScheme* clarification: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/pull/480

The other two may require more work and we need more feedback on them. However, the start of the work for the encoding clarification is here:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 3:02:41 PM UTC-5, Jeremy Lindblom wrote:
Where is the thread about: "clarify the reasons for why the with* methods must return a new instance even if the values do not change"?

Thanks for asking. These didn't exist even 30 minutes ago when I finally clicked send on the first email to this thread but I will add them as they come up.

The clarification on the with* / new instance question was to address the fact that the spec currently dictated that a new instance must be returned. Several implementations were already doing the optimization which made them no longer compliant with the spec. This was a problem.

Since we are in review, we can revisit this and change it so that the spec no longer requires returning a new instance. In the meantime, we need to ensure that the metadoc backs up the reasons why it is written the way it is.

Alexander Makarov

Apr 1, 2015, 4:23:45 PM4/1/15
to php...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense. Please consider merging (or not) my minor adjustments: