[Internals] Change to FIG 3.0 term lengths

Michael Cullum

Dec 6, 2016, 10:24:57 AM12/6/16
to FIG, PHP
Hi all,

It was noted by a few individuals that the way the bylaws stand about fulfilling the initial 12 Core Committee roles as if there is a 12-member vacancy this leads to a rather inefficient situation where some people would have their terms expire in April/May of this year which I'm sure you all agree is non-ideal as (1) they won't have time to settle in (2) CC elections take time and focus away from working on specifications and two in such a short period is relatively unhelpful.

However, a small change could help resolve this issue so I'm just asking if anyone objects to us doing it slightly differently**

The old system would have involved the following three terms:
Top four candidates term expires in: August 2018
Next four candidates term expires in: January 2018
Last four candidates terms expire in:  April 2017

My suggestion is to change it so they receive the following (slightly extended terms so the minimum term is ~1 year and maximum is just over 2 years):
Top four candidates term expires in: April 2019
Next four candidates term expires in: August 2018
Last four candidates terms expire in:  January 2018

Essentially, we just skip the first normal CC election and extend everyone's term by a few months so that we stay on the defined calendar for future elections.

--
Many thanks
FIG Secretaries

** If there are more than a couple of objections from voting members then I guess it will just be dropped as an entire vote to decide if we should do this doesn't really help with the aim of reducing bureaucracy in this instance

Larry Garfield

Dec 6, 2016, 10:31:11 AM12/6/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
This sounds reasonable to me.  Thanks, Secretaries.

--Larry Garfield

Lukas Kahwe Smith

Dec 6, 2016, 12:59:16 PM12/6/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
fine for me.

though I have no preference for or against this.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith

signature.asc

Chris Tankersley

Dec 7, 2016, 10:46:13 AM12/7/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
I think that seems fine.

-Chris, Sculpin

Chris Tankersley
http://ctankersley.com

Cees-Jan Kiewiet

Dec 7, 2016, 12:39:43 PM12/7/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me as well

Matthew Weier O'Phinney

Dec 7, 2016, 2:34:07 PM12/7/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It was noted by a few individuals that the way the bylaws stand about
> fulfilling the initial 12 Core Committee roles as if there is a 12-member
> vacancy this leads to a rather inefficient situation where some people would
> have their terms expire in April/May of this year which I'm sure you all
> agree is non-ideal as (1) they won't have time to settle in (2) CC elections
> take time and focus away from working on specifications and two in such a
> short period is relatively unhelpful.
>
> However, a small change could help resolve this issue so I'm just asking if
> anyone objects to us doing it slightly differently**
>
> The old system would have involved the following three terms:
> Top four candidates term expires in: August 2018
> Next four candidates term expires in: January 2018
> Last four candidates terms expire in: April 2017
>
> My suggestion is to change it so they receive the following (slightly
> extended terms so the minimum term is ~1 year and maximum is just over 2
> years):
> Top four candidates term expires in: April 2019
> Next four candidates term expires in: August 2018
> Last four candidates terms expire in: January 2018
>
> Essentially, we just skip the first normal CC election and extend everyone's
> term by a few months so that we stay on the defined calendar for future
> elections.

This sounds reasonable to me; I was taken by surprise by how quickly
the secretary position was up for election again this past year, and
would definitely like to avoid that situation again.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
mweiero...@gmail.com

Korvin Szanto

Dec 7, 2016, 6:26:31 PM12/7/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
I was going to remain silent since I didn't have objections but it looks like we are going to be +1'ing instead. So +1 :)

Michiel Rook

Dec 8, 2016, 5:26:04 AM12/8/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
No objections from Phing.