[Internal] Resignation - The PHP League

grey...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 5:14:07 PM8/15/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Dear Membership,

After much internal debate we have decided that, as of today, The PHP League will be resigning as a voting member project of the FIG.

This is not a reaction to any specific singular event that has happened recently, but instead due to the general trend this organization is taking. The increase in legalistic bureaucracy has taken front stage, and is impeding the good work that this group was set up to do. Put more bluntly, the FIG has become increasingly toxic in recent months, making effective participation nearly impossible. Further, the greater PHP community has become quite frustrated, left wondering why difficult decisions have not been made.

From the League's perspective, it feels like the right time to step back and refocus our efforts on creating high quality, framework agnostic PHP packages. We are simply not adding nor receiving enough value from this group to remain a voting member of it.

To those who remain, we wish you the best of luck in the future. We know there is a group of you working diligently behind the noise, and we encourage you to continue doing so. The League certainly plans to continue using the standards put forth by the FIG, and where it makes sense may even jump in to help on specific standards that pertain to our projects.

On a house keeping note, as a result of this resignation, we will not be casting a vote in the secretarial elections.

-- Graham Daniels
The PHP League