Spurious config.xml in .ipa from build.phonegap.com

Andrew Smith

Aug 14, 2016, 1:14:01 PM8/14/16
to phonegap
I'm trying to diagnose an issue with enabling the vibrate plugin in my iOS app.

To try and do some debug I downloaded the most recently built .ipa file and unzipped it. When I open the "config.xml" file (under Payload/myapp.app/config.xml) I see the following (truncated):

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<widget id='io.cordova.helloCordova' version='2.0.0' xmlns='http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets'>
    <name>
        HelloCordova
    </name>
    <description>
         A sample Apache Cordova application that responds to the deviceready
        event.
    </description>
    <author email='d...@cordova.apache.org' href='http://cordova.io'>
         Apache Cordova Team
    </author>

This is definitely not what the source config.xml looks like! And in the build.phonegap.com and my app it displays OK.

Is this expected behaviour? My concern is that this is some how stopping the vibrate permission from making it's way to my app which is stopping the plugin from working.

For reference, the unzipped archive looks like:

Payload/
  AppIcon29x29@2x~ipad.png
 AppIco...@2x.png
 AppIco...@3x.png
 AppIcon29x29~ipad.png
 AppIcon29x29.png
 AppIcon40x40@2x~ipad.png
 AppIco...@2x.png
 AppIcon40x40~ipad.png
 AppIcon50x50~ipad.png
 AppIcon57x57.png
 AppIcon72x72~ipad.png
 AppIcon76x76~ipad.png
 _CodeSignature
 config.xml
 embedded.mobileprovision
 Info.plist
 Launc...@2x.png
 LaunchI...@2x.png
 LaunchImage.png
 MainViewController.nib
 myapp
 PkgInfo
 www

Thanks
Andy

Kerri Shotts

Aug 14, 2016, 1:19:47 PM8/14/16
to phonegap
Technically, this forum isn't about PhoneGap Build support. There is an Adobe Forum specifically for that product (should be linked from the group's welcome text).

But, make sure you are uploading only the contents of your "www" folder and that your config.xml file is in the "www" folder when you upload it. PGB requires a different structure and doesn't automatically work with the structure created by the CLI or desktop app. Using the incorrect structure is the primary reason you end up with the incorrect config.xml or even end up with the same hello world app.

Also make sure you aren't trying to upload /platforms, /plugins, /hooks, etc. Only the contents of "www" should be used. The following sequence of commands should work (*nix):

* cd your/project/root/www
* (if config.xml isn't in www): mv ../config.xml .
* (be sure to fix any paths in your config file now!)
* zip -r ../app.zip *

> ... build.phonegap.com ...

Andrew Smith

Aug 14, 2016, 3:09:37 PM8/14/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kerri, should I repost there?

I should have mentioned that I'm using the "repo" method. This repo has my "www" folder in the root alongside my config.xml. The config.xml is the one I expect

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Andy Smith

Andrew Smith

Aug 14, 2016, 3:09:37 PM8/14/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I pushed send too soon.

Thanks Kerri, should I repost there?

I should have mentioned that I'm using the "repo" method. This repo has my "www" folder in the root alongside my config.xml. The config.xml is the one I expect, with name+description the same. There is only 1 config .xml and I can't find anything else saying "HelloCordova" in that repo (which is why I'm quite baffled!).

Kerri Shotts

Aug 15, 2016, 1:14:13 PM8/15/16
to phonegap
You will probably get better support there; this forum doesn't specialize in PGB but focuses on the CLI.

As to your repo, do you mean the top level looks like this?

your/repo
config.xml
www/
index.html
etc.

If so, that's not what PGB expects. Instead, it expects this (essentially: move config.xml to www/, and then the repo should be the www/ directory, not the parent directory.):

your/repo
config.xml
index.html
etc.

This means that paths in config.xml must change a bit (paths are relative to config.xml's location).

Hope that helps...

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 2:09:37 PM UTC-5, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Oops, I pushed send too soon.
>

> Thanks Kerri, should I repost there?
>

> I should have mentioned that I'm using the "repo" method. This repo has my "www" folder in the root alongside my config.xml. The config.xml is the one I expect, with name+description the same. There is only 1 config .xml and I can't find anything else saying "HelloCordova" in that repo (which is why I'm quite baffled!).
>

> On 14 August 2016 at 20:08, Andrew Smith <m...@andrewmichaelsmith.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Kerri, should I repost there?
>

> I should have mentioned that I'm using the "repo" method. This repo has my "www" folder in the root alongside my config.xml. The config.xml is the one I expect
>

> On 14 August 2016 at 18:19, Kerri Shotts <kerri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Technically, this forum isn't about PhoneGap Build support. There is an Adobe Forum specifically for that product (should be linked from the group's welcome text).
>

> But, make sure you are uploading only the contents of your "www" folder and that your config.xml file is in the "www" folder when you upload it. PGB requires a different structure and doesn't automatically work with the structure created by the CLI or desktop app. Using the incorrect structure is the primary reason you end up with the incorrect config.xml or even end up with the same hello world app.
>

> Also make sure you aren't trying to upload /platforms, /plugins, /hooks, etc. Only the contents of "www" should be used. The following sequence of commands should work (*nix):
>

> * cd your/project/root/www
>
> * (if config.xml isn't in www): mv ../config.xml .
>
> * (be sure to fix any paths in your config file now!)
>
> * zip -r ../app.zip *
>

> > ... build.phonegap.com ...
>

> --

> phonegap+u...@googlegroups.com

> For more options, visit this group at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>

> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
>
> ---
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Andrew Smith

Aug 15, 2016, 1:17:46 PM8/15/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kerri

My setup is the latter one you describe. To be clear - my app runs just fine, it's just the config.xml in the .ipa I extracted is a totally different one from my actual one, which makes me suspicious. I'm trying to figure out why the vibrate plugin isn't working on iOS

Thanks

> For more options, visit this group at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>

> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
>
> ---
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

> --
>

> Andy Smith
>

> http://andrewmichaelsmith.com | @bingleybeep
>

> --
>

> Andy Smith
>

> http://andrewmichaelsmith.com | @bingleybeep

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Andrew Smith

Aug 15, 2016, 2:04:05 PM8/15/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
OK! Turns out this was a complete red herring. Months ago I'd excluded the cordova.js include. This was my problem.

The dodgy config.xml is still there but my actual issue has nothing to do with it.