Protecting App Code

Jeff Berwick

Jul 15, 2016, 11:34:52 AM7/15/16
to 'Rob Willett' via phonegap
Hi there,

I don’t know how the Cordova code resides on the user device, for example the iPhone, but I suspect that, since it is Javascript and HTML source code, that it is human readable and accessible to anybody who can access the file system. Is this assumption valid?

If so, is there some way of compiling or protecting your intellectual property once it is on the device?

Thx,
Jeff

Chris Griffith

Jul 15, 2016, 1:05:11 PM7/15/16
to phonegap
It is within the .ipa or apk file, that can be unzipped by an end user if they know how to. There are solutions that can be used to obscure it, but the code is there.

Chris

Kerri Shotts

Jul 20, 2016, 11:45:24 AM7/20/16
to phonegap
A longer answer will probably come from a blog post, but here's the short answer:

Anything on the client's device can be subverted, decompiled, etc., and this holds true with native code as well as PG code. So in short, put nothing out on the user's device that you wouldn't want made public. Keeping important bits on the server and never trusting your client app is a good start, but you may also need to exercise your legal rights in this regard as well should someone infringe against your copyright or IP.