request for beta testers

Aater Suleman

Apr 11, 2012, 10:34:58 PM4/11/12
to phonegap
Hey guys,

I have discussed this in several of my posts on this list that we have
a proprietary solution to avoid compile/deploy of PhoneGap apps.
Incidentally, it also removes the need to setup any of the SDKs or
buying Apple machines which was appealing to a few people like Anand.
We have finally decided to release this as a beta product, just see
what you guys think.

Quick summary: its an iPhone/Android application which opens our
PhoneGap apps like a webpage on a real device. When you make changes
to your html/js code, all you have to do is press a refresh button,
and you see the changes immediately. More at http://www.gapflyapp.com
(WIP). I have also mentioned the internal concept in my blog post
here: http://www.futurechips.org/software-for-hardware-guys/learn-objective-c.html.

If you are interested in trying it out, just reply here or email me
personally your info and I will send you details for beta.

Thanks,
Aater

jxp

Apr 12, 2012, 3:58:57 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com

This seems a good idea but I'm not sure how it actually works.
I think it is;

1. Copy the web files from a PhoneGap project to a server
2. Install your app and "get" the files from the server.

I'm not sure if this involves running running the web files from the server or if they are copied to the device.

Also how does it work with plugins (if at all). Your blog states you used this when developing a device info plugin but I can't quite picture how that would work.

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 4:06:05 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
We've dealt with this in Hydra: https://github.com/filmaj/hydra
(you can modify this to support whatever server)

It won't work generically with plugins since the host app needs it all
compiled in beforehand.

We've also submitted an app to the App Store to test the waters for
this functionality. Definitely and explicitly not allowed in the App
Store, but it will be good for ad-hoc testing - usually native plugins
are hardly updated, so everyone can get a "stock" native shell, with
only the web assets changing.

> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

jcesar

Apr 12, 2012, 5:26:29 AM4/12/12
to phonegap
Why is this better than the ios safari?

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 5:40:39 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
It's not, without the native plugins part like I mentioned - which is
the point of phonegap/cordova...

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM, jcesar <jcesar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is this better than the ios safari?

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 7:44:04 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for asking great questions guys. On the dot.

You cannot test a PhoneGap app in iOS safari because you cannot access native features in iOS Safari, e.g., camera, compass, accelerometer. Opening it GapFly browser, i.e. this Beta, does let you access all native functionality. Thus, you can actually test PhoneGap apps fully, not just the HTML part of it. Think of this as a web browser which has support for all PhoneGap functionality and common plugins like Barcodescanner and ChildBrowser.

Aater

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:40:39 AM UTC-5, Shazron Abdullah wrote:
It's not, without the native plugins part like I mentioned - which is
the point of phonegap/cordova...

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM, jcesar <jcesar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is this better than the ios safari?
>
> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:40:39 AM UTC-5, Shazron Abdullah wrote:
It's not, without the native plugins part like I mentioned - which is
the point of phonegap/cordova...

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM, jcesar <jcesar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is this better than the ios safari?
>
> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:40:39 AM UTC-5, Shazron Abdullah wrote:
It's not, without the native plugins part like I mentioned - which is
the point of phonegap/cordova...

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM, jcesar <jcesar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is this better than the ios safari?

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 7:48:22 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Shazron,

Just checked out Hydra. It seems to be different, as GapFly does have the plugin support you mention. I had the same concern with AppStore, but it seems like there is a way around this. Email me privately if you are interested in discussing.

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 8:03:30 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
No point discussing it - get it in the App Store, that would be enough
proof. We've talked with the App Review team, this is specifically
against clause 2.7 and maybe even 2.8 - if you can get get it through
once, kudos. Perhaps not more than once, who knows.

It's exactly the same - no different, there is no way to "send"
Objective-C to the device and compile it at run-time, everything has
to be compile-time. The only way you can do this is compile a set list
of plugins beforehand in the app , and allow users to choose.

>> > phonegap+u...@googlegroups.com

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>> >
>> > For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
>

> --

> phonegap+u...@googlegroups.com

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 8:06:53 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
@jxp,

It is kind of like you mention, except a little better. I am very a impatient programmer:-) (as I mention in my blog post). My motivation came from the fact that I also developer websites and I could clearly notice that website development goes a LOT faster than PhoneGap development. IMO, the reason is because when developing a website your workflow is much faster: when you edit an HTML/JS file, you just click refresh in your browser and see the change in less than a seconds, literally.

Whereas, with PhoneGap apps, when you make a change to your HTML/JS, you have to first compile, then deploy to your phone, then wait for app to open, then browse to the relevant page -- which often takes 1-2 minutes. So this project came about simply to create the concept of a one-click refresh of PhoneGap apps -- to make PhoneGap development exactly like website development. With this app we wrote, you:

-Write code on your PC/MAC (just like for a website)
-Refresh in GapFly browser -- and done.

Files are copied to the device but all that is instant and is seamless to the PhoneGap developer. You don't even need to click anything other than the refresh button in the GapFly browser app on your phone. It is better than a regular web browser because the "webpage" it opens can have native features like the ability to access the camera.

How does it work?

Your computer runs a traditional webserver. The GapGly browser is provided the URL of the webserver running on your computer. When you edit a file, and hit refresh in he GapFly browser, the GapFly browser gets the latest version of the file from your computer and displays it.

I hope this clarifies.

Thanks.

ps. In case you are wondering, creating a webserver on your computer is very easy. Typically, you can download Mongoose (its a light weight web server). I also use Dropbox's public folder as it can give you a web link for a folder. You can also install a fully blown webserver like Apache (note: it's installed by default on MacOS).

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 8:06:18 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Sorry not that I don't believe you - I'd rather not get on the bad
side of the fruit company for obvious reasons :)

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 8:13:29 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
@Shazron,

lol. that was quick and harsh. I was just trying to help, didn't mean any ill:-) Will let you know once its in the appstore. Wish me luck. Btw, while not for PhoneGap, but apps with similar functionality for other frameworks have existed in the AppStore already for >2 years.

Aater

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>> >
>> > For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
>
> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>> >
>> > For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
>
> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en
>> >
>> > For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

Shazron

Apr 12, 2012, 8:20:07 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
This is what I'm saying - Hydra is exactly Gapfly.

> --

> phonegap+u...@googlegroups.com

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 8:30:46 AM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Shazron,

I haven't compiled to see Hydra at work but I believe. I want to eliminate the compile-Hydra step as it means you still need to install and learn Android SDK which defeats the purpose.

Btw, Android allows Hydra as-is. is Hydra in android Marketplace so I can try it out?

Aater

jcesar

Apr 12, 2012, 3:03:01 PM4/12/12
to phonegap
I'm interested on trying the beta.

> >http://www.futurechips.org/software-for-hardware-guys/learn-objective...
> > .

Steve Sobol

Apr 12, 2012, 3:53:24 PM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com

----- "jcesar" <jcesar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested on trying the beta.

Me too, please.

--
Lobos Studios - Website Design, Programming, IT Support
Phone: 877.919.4WEB (Toll-free) or 760.684.8859 (Victor Valley)

Aater Suleman

Apr 12, 2012, 4:09:59 PM4/12/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your interest guys. It is very encouraging. I will be emailing all of you (including the ones who sent personal messages) with details shortly.

Meanwhile, can you guys please mention if you are more interested in iOS, Android, (or may be both).

Thanks a lot.
Aater

newhere inc

Apr 13, 2012, 12:59:39 AM4/13/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
im interested, count me in

Jawwad Farooq

Apr 13, 2012, 1:45:54 AM4/13/12
to phonegap
I am also interested. Interested in Android.

On Apr 13, 9:59 am, newhere inc <neilb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> im interested, count me in
>

> On Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:34:58 PM UTC+10, Aater Suleman wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
>
> > I have discussed this in several of my posts on this list that we have
> > a proprietary solution to avoid compile/deploy of PhoneGap apps.
> > Incidentally, it also removes the need to setup any of the SDKs or
> > buying Apple machines which was appealing to a few people like Anand.
> > We have finally decided to release this as a beta product, just see
> > what you guys think.
>
> > Quick summary: its an iPhone/Android application which opens our
> > PhoneGap apps like a webpage on a real device. When you make changes
> > to your html/js code, all you have to do is press a refresh button,
> > and you see the changes immediately. More athttp://www.gapflyapp.com
> > (WIP). I have also mentioned the internal concept in my blog post
> > here:
> >http://www.futurechips.org/software-for-hardware-guys/learn-objective....

Aater Suleman

Apr 13, 2012, 1:04:05 PM4/13/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your interest. Can you please include iOS, Android, or both?

Regards,
Aater

cleezdeez

Apr 13, 2012, 4:01:22 PM4/13/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
so are you still accepting testers or am I too late?

cleezdeez

Apr 13, 2012, 4:02:35 PM4/13/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
are you still accepting testers or am I too late?

Aater Suleman

Apr 13, 2012, 7:15:18 PM4/13/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Nope. The more the better. I will count you in. Thanks.

Alastair Gilfillan

Jul 21, 2012, 8:10:56 AM7/21/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
This seems great and I'm interested in trying it out. I've been hating using MacOS at work for development to the point of now running Xcode on another computer and connecting via Linux and VNC.

Alec Taylor

Jul 21, 2012, 8:58:35 AM7/21/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I'll take Beta for all platforms 'cept iOS

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

To compile in the cloud, check out build.phonegap.com

WebSteve

Nov 5, 2012, 2:34:06 PM11/5/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aater,

I think you should set up a company mailing list and address all your beta-testers there, off-list.

Regards,
Steve

jcesarmobile

Nov 5, 2012, 6:25:43 PM11/5/12
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Don't bother, he didn't sent the apps to beta test, at least not to me, after some mails he just stoped answering.