PhoneGap / Cordova Docs Versions

Daniel Morgenstern

Apr 17, 2014, 1:06:31 PM4/17/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Dear PhoneGap Team,

I am writing my bachelor thesis about cross-platform mobile development and wanted to get some basic information from the phonegap docs
But I am a little bit confused about the consistency of the phonegap websites and documentations.

When I navigate to http://docs.phonegap.com, I will forwarded to the version 3.4.0.
But from the home page phonegap.com, the click on the "Getting Started Guides" button leads me to edge version of a documentation page (which appears at the top of the version number dropdown).

Also the installation guide says the same as the description from the edge documentation to install the phonegap CLI, but in the docs edition with the highest version number I am told to install cordova with: $ sudo npm install -g cordova.

1.) Can you tell me what is the up-to-date PhoneGap Version? I think 3.4.0, but:
1.a) [Maybe a dumb question, I couldn’t find any helpful information about that] What does "edge" mean is this context?

From this blog post I learned, that the only difference between cordova and phonegap is the name (at least at the time of the blog post date, 19 Mar 2012), but in the PhoneGap documentation, the name of the framework and the command line tool is alternating in several documentation versions.
So: 2.) Is there a recommendation, which framework distribution to install for exploring and testing the framework in general?

But not only the differences between documentation versions and website links are confusing me, also within one version, the information about platform support was not that clear:
In the Chapter "The Command-Line Interface" there is a list of possible combinations of CLI and development platforms:
  • iOS (Mac)
  • Amazon Fire OS (Mac, Linux, Windows)
  • Android (Mac, Linux)
  • BlackBerry 10 (Mac, Linux, Windows)
  • ...
But having a look at the table under "Platform Support", it looks like the CLI for Android is also supported by Windows, but in the blackberry10-column, Windows is not listed.

Same in other versions.

3.) Which page is right? Platform Support or Command Line Interface?

Maybe I just don't get it, so I would be very pleased if somebody could take my confusion away! :)
Thank you!

Best Regards,
Daniel

Daniel Morgenstern

Apr 19, 2014, 5:42:11 AM4/19/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
*PUSH*

Hey guys,

could anyone please help me?
Which location in your documentation and your website is the point to get the most reliable and up-to-date information about platform support and PhoneGap development process?

Thank you! :)

Rahul

Apr 19, 2014, 5:47:58 AM4/19/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Edge is the latest version, which is kind of work in progress version. The latest current release is 3.4.0. Platform support page is correct, you can refer to that page.

Rahul

Apr 19, 2014, 5:49:02 AM4/19/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Refer this link to know more about the development process -

Daniel Morgenstern

Apr 19, 2014, 8:36:52 AM4/19/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much! :)

Refer this link to know more about the development process -

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

To compile in the cloud, check out build.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "phonegap" group.