PhoneGap & OpenLaszlo integration

Raju Bitter

Jul 12, 2010, 7:34:29 AM7/12/10
to phonegap
I've created a project to easily integrate OpenLaszlo applications
with PhoneGap. If you don't know OpenLaszlo: It's one of the most
advanced open source RIA platforms, capable of generating an
application as both HTML5 and Flash 10 application. I'm an OpenLaszlo
committer, and have been using the platform for 6 years by now:
http://www.openlaszlo.org

Currently all the project information is on GitHub at:
http://github.com/raju-bitter/mobile-openlaszlo I'm about to finish a
first tutorial showing how you can integrate OpenLaszlo HTML5 apps
with PhoneGap. The project will although host tools to deploy
OpenLaszlo apps as W3C widgets and Adobe AIR 2.0 applications as well.

After a few weeks of working with PhoneGap, I'm very impressed by the
technology. Sun built a proof-of-concept for Java enabled OpenLaszlo
apps a few years ago. The approach was to run generated JavaScript
code inside the Rhino scripting engine embedded into a J2ME app. The
PhoneGap architecture reminds of that approach, very elegant!

Thanks to anyone from Nitobi or the open source community working on
PhoneGap. It's a great project, and I will promote it in the future.

Raju

Dave Johnson

Jul 12, 2010, 12:54:09 PM7/12/10
to Raju Bitter, phonegap
Looks cool Raju!

> --
>
> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

Raju Bitter

Jul 14, 2010, 1:45:08 PM7/14/10
to da...@nitobi.com, phonegap
Thanks, Dave. Here's a video of an HTML5 app running in PhoneGap:
http://vimeo.com/13332562

Thanks for open sourcing this technology.

Cheers,
Raju

Mark Scheel

Aug 19, 2016, 3:11:54 PM8/19/16
to phonegap, da...@nitobi.com, r.bitter.m...@googlemail.com
Hello,
I am a non professional programmer who needs to get his app into phonegap.
It s  indeed programmed in Openlazlo, I use PhoneGapBuild from Adobe to generate the apk, install it
on my phone but the data request is not happening. I tried another little program i wrote without the need
for data over http. that worked fine.
maybe someone is watching here and can help me out.

thank you in advance
mark scheel

Steve Sobol - Lobos Studios

Aug 19, 2016, 4:52:46 PM8/19/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com, da...@nitobi.com, r.bitter.m...@googlemail.com

Although we don’t support PhoneGap Build here (Adobe has a forum for that – this mailing list/Google group is for the open-source Cordova library upon which PGB is built) – I can offer the following points:

-          You can’t run server-side code in a Cordova/PhoneGap app. It has to be HTML, CSS, graphics and Javascript only

-          The best way to allow a Cordova/PhoneGap app to communicate with a web app running on a web server is to use Javascript and REST APIs to grab data from the server.

-          OpenLaszlo allows compilation of apps into SWF (Adobe Flash) files, but Android dropped support for SWF a while ago, and iOS never supported it.

-          OpenLaszlo seems to be dead. The website is down, its Wikipedia page says the project is “discontinued” and the latest download on Sourceforge is about two years old.

There are plenty of developers active on the Google Group who can help you update your website to use modern technology, and help you to create a Cordova-powered app (including me, and I have the benefit of also being a Java web app dev; OpenLaszlo used Java servlet technology). I forget where the list of developers is – a list does exist, but could someone please chime in with the link to it?

Best,

  Steve

--

Lobos Studios | Phone: 877.919.4WEB | LobosStudios.com | Facebook.com/LobosStudios | @LobosStudios

Web Development - Mobile Development - Helpdesk/Tech Support - Computer Sales & Service

Acer Authorized Reseller - Computers, Windows and Android Tablets, Accessories

Steve Sobol - CEO, Senior Developer and Server Jockey

st...@LobosStudios.com

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Mark Scheel

Aug 20, 2016, 5:45:29 AM8/20/16
to phonegap, da...@nitobi.com, r.bitter.m...@googlemail.com
Hello Steve,
thank you for your reply,
I solved the problem, it was not so much a problem of Openlaszlo. I had to add a config file on the root level of my app, which tells phone gap to
allow crossdomain requests. That was really all.

Just to clarify a few things:

-          OpenLaszlo allows compilation of apps into SWF (Adobe Flash) files, but Android dropped support for SWF a while ago, and iOS never supported it.

              Openlazlo allows compilation also to HTML5 package of files which makes it a good candidate for phone gap.

-          OpenLaszlo seems to be dead. The website is down, its Wikipedia page says the project is “discontinued” and the latest download on Sourceforge is about two years old.

              That s still the worst part. Having been involved with jQuery , React, and AngularJS over the years i have to say that Openlaszlo still has the most clear and readable

              syntax. The class system, inheritance and method overloading has been there right from the start, years before other js frameworks even thought about it.

              A shame they dropped it. And still 90% of it still works like a charme. In the early time of smartphones the framework seemed too heavy, but on my galaxy s5 its

              fast enough. And I like the use of XML over json. json becomes pretty unreadable when deeply nested.