HEADS UP: Android 6.0 SDK-23 blocks background operations.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 27, 2015, 11:58:55 PM11/27/15
to phonegap
Today while search for developers lost on the new `whitelist` for network access, I found out about another `whitelist` for Android developers.

As of Android 6.0 SDK-23 (Marshmallow), Google is putting in place new features/barriers that effect background operations. The two (2) are related and are called *DOZE* and *App Suspend*. The point of these new "features" is to save battery life.

In the worst possible scenario, instant messages will be discarded. In another case, your app will be able to use network or background operations *only* once a day. In another case, you can get operations once every 15 minutes. In the best case, you can get exact temporal operations, but things like `JobScheduler` will still fail.

Oh and that `whitelist` list reference I found is to let the end-user add your App to a whitelist on the *mobile device*. This means you can ask the end-user to put your app on the `whitelist`, so you can partially ignore *DOZE* and *App Suspend*. However, the documentation warns:

Note: Google Play policies prohibit apps from requesting direct exemption from Power Management features in Android 6.0+ (Doze and App Standby) unless the core function of the app is adversely affected.

I've already done a preliminary on this and I found very few articles, blog posts, or SO threads. I will blog on this in a few days. In the meantime, I have notes at Android 6.0 & Doze

Rob Willett

Nov 28, 2015, 4:34:23 AM11/28/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Jesse,

Thanks for this. This will directly affect our app, so I'd be very interested in what you find. We'll look as well and see what comes out.

Since our app needs to send notifications in the background I suppose we can calls  that as "core' functionality but I suspect everybody + dog will do the same thing.

Oh well, no doubt we'll find a solution.

Rob

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 28, 2015, 5:43:50 AM11/28/15
to phonegap
DAMM

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 9:58:55 PM UTC-7, Jesse Monroy wrote:
days. In the meantime, I have notes at Android 6.0 & Doze

Correction

        Android 6.0 & Doze

Rob Willett

Nov 28, 2015, 6:37:43 AM11/28/15
to phonegap
Jesse

That's good information to have. The normal vs high priority notifications is the key. We need to chat with our push server people and make sure they know what needs to be done.

Thanks again

Rob