Phone Gap - Are these Native Apps or Web based ones?

Matt R

Apr 17, 2014, 4:51:53 AM4/17/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Just want to check. Does Phone Gap effectively create Native Apps using web based technology, or are tehese web based apps?

I ask as I want to build an app, but it may be used in areas where there is no web / wifi connection, so want to make sure that it will still work, rather than just give me connectivity errors.

Thanks

Steve Husting

Apr 18, 2014, 10:30:40 AM4/18/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Cordova PhoneGap allows us to make hybrid and web apps, not native apps. People already know that if a connection is required, they'll get to a wifi hotspot to use it.
http://iphonedevlog.wordpress.com/explanation-of-phonegapcordova-for-the-layman/

duke

Apr 18, 2014, 11:49:21 AM4/18/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
It depends on what you want your app to do.  If your app doesn't need a server connection, it will run fine with no Network connection.  We recently wrote an app for measuring pain a patient is experiencing and allowing them to text their Dr.  This works completely offline, without any need for a Network Connection.

If you have a Server side that the app communicates with to retrieve data, then if you need it to work without a Network Connection use SQLITE.  The app synchs with the server when there is a Network Connection, but can run offline with NO Network Connection.

jcesarmobile

Apr 18, 2014, 12:03:54 PM4/18/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't matter if you app is developed with html or objective c or java, if you app requires an internet connection it will fail when an internet connection isn't available.
You as the developer should take care of making the app to work partially offline or inform the user that the app requires full internet connection to work.

You can create phonegap app that don't require internet connection too, you can use html without a server.