New Phonegap App Issue (app.phonegap.com)

Kei Yasui

Apr 21, 2014, 4:57:04 PM4/21/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
I love the new phonegap app in theory (app.phonegap.com), but I can't seem to get it to sync.
I'm on a Nexus 5 and the app keeps saying "Please Enter a URL" when I type in the address I get from phonegap serve.
Any idea whats going on?
Thanks!

Michael Brooks

Apr 23, 2014, 1:12:43 PM4/23/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kei,

Later today, we'll be open sourcing the repository and I'll create an issue to track this (I'll post it here afterwards).

My gut tells me that it's because we are using a URL type input field and the Android browser is a little too strict about what is considered a URL.

Can you try prefix the URL with "http://". For example, "http://10.0.1.4:3000".

Cheers,
Michael

Mark Cornell

Apr 23, 2014, 8:21:19 PM4/23/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I have another issue, when phonegap serve is issued i get a e too many windows. see attached
Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 7.17.51 PM.png

Appsotutely

Apr 23, 2014, 9:46:41 PM4/23/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, this is pretty slick.  I was able to connect to the server on my internal network with both a couple of iOS devices (iPhone 5S and iPad Mini) as well as an HTC One, and my app starts up, but won't quite load all the way (I get an endless loop of "/autoreload" in my bash window).  I can take the iOS project and run it in XCode directly on an iOS simulator, so I'm not sure what's missing to get it to run through the PhoneGap Developer client.  It'll be nice to have this option too if it works cleanly.

Perry

Michael Brooks

Apr 24, 2014, 7:37:11 PM4/24/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kei,

I've added your issue here:

If you uncover any more details, please post it to that thread!

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Brooks

Apr 24, 2014, 7:40:11 PM4/24/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I've seen this issue on a few systems.

The problem is related to the auto-update feature that monitors for saved file changes. When the directory includes too many files, the directory structure is too deep, or the system doesn't have enough memory, then the Gaze module will crash.

It's a hard one to solve because it's an external dependency.

A workaround is to disable the autoreload and use the four-finger tap to force an update:

    $ phonegap serve --no-autoreload

If you uncover more details about your project (a co-worker had it happen on a simple project structure), please log an issue here:

Michael Brooks

Apr 24, 2014, 7:42:17 PM4/24/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Perry (Appsotutely),

The repetitive "/autoreload" requests are normal for the console. This is simply the app pinging the server to check for new content.

It's hard for me to diagnose your problem: the app isn't loading fully. Any chance that you can provide more information and log an issue to our issue tracker?

Thanks!
Michael

Appsotutely

Apr 25, 2014, 8:39:37 PM4/25/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'd be happy to help if I can.  My app design is to start with an animated splash screen, but inside of the PhoneGap Developer App, none of my animations ever start, so I can never reach my app's home page.  The splash screen is my design and not the PhoneGap/Cordova variety.

I removed the splash screen and made the home page the first page that gets loaded instead.  It loads, but it doesn't have all the data it needs.  I can reach my info page which has links to open up email and an external website.  Each of those works, so it seems as if the inappbrowser plugin is working properly.

Are there some caveats or prerequisites I need to set up?  I had the config.xml sitting inside my www folder and then I moved it up into the project folder, but neither way helped.  I can open up the iOS project in XCode and that runs as expected in the iOS simulator.

Perry

Michael Brooks

Apr 28, 2014, 12:32:59 PM4/28/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Perry (Appsotutely),

I'm happy to work through this and see where it leads. The PhoneGap Developer App certainly has it's limitations and is currently intended to breakdown the barrier of entry for beginners and provide a rapid prototype surface for experts. As your app grows in complexity, naturally you'll outgrow the developer app (e.g. needing external plugins).

Is your splash screen an HTML design or native component? If it's purely HTML, but not loading, then perhaps you're waiting for an event that the PhoneGap Developer App is failing to trigger?

Would you mind posting an issue on our issue tracker? It lends itself better to these sort of discussions.

Thanks!
Michael

Appsotutely

Apr 28, 2014, 10:14:48 PM4/28/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I posted a new issue as "Debugging in Console?".  I commented out some plugins I had in my existing app and that enabled the animation (html/css) to run and leave me at my home page, but an ajax call seems to be failing silently.  Is there any way to debug to console with Phonegap App?  Do I need to enable the Console plugin or enable the Console feature in some way through the config.xml?  And once I do that, how do I access the console output?

Perry