What's the best notification system for cordova/phonegap please?

James Henderson

Dec 7, 2016, 5:01:13 AM12/7/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Would love to hear about anyone's experience with iOS and Android notifications.

Parse has closed for new registrations :(

Rob Willett

Dec 7, 2016, 6:08:50 AM12/7/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
James

First if all there is no 'best' notification system. Everybody's idea of best is different. E.g. Free, well supported, highly featured etc etc. You get the idea.

We have been through and tested many notification systems before finalising on one. My thoughts and recollections are;

Amazon. Poor feature set. Very little going for it. We were very unimpressed and kept thinking we'd missed something.

Openshift Aerogear. We liked this and had no issues getting it quickly working.We had issues at the time with notifications being triggered at start up and not being captured. Also felt very open source like. However the support team were responsive and you can't argue with free.

Onesignal. We started with these and moved away from them as there were technical issues they couldn't resolve at the time. This was about a year ago. However we went back and looked again at them around six weeks ago and did a test port of their latest code. Very impressed and we had it all working in a day or so on 'almost' production code. Coincidentally I was doing some more testing this morning on Onesignal to make sure our code base still worked. Feee and support very good. If Josh is reading this, 'hi'. New code library, new docs. We will certainly look seriously at moving back to them in the new year.

Pushwoosh. We currently use them and pay for this. Good support. Not that expensive. Up to date code. Good Web front end but you can ramp up some costs if you are not careful.

Homegrown. We looked at building our own system and spent a few days playing with code. Unless you are seriously good coders and can afford to devote some many weeks dont do this.

Aerogear, Onesignal and Pushwoosh all have great docs to get you going. If you have problems their support is all good. I suspect we could use any of them.

You also need to look at how you will generate notifications and send them to their servers. We use Perl and it's pretty simple for us as we know how to do that sort of thing. All of the providers have similar types of REST api's.

In the end we used Pushwoosh but we wrote a large amount of code to build our own client notification framework using a combination of Pushwoosh as the delivery mechanism and local notifications for displaying. We have some unusual use cases that no single provider could solve. The advantage of this is that we can jump providers at short notice as we aren't dependent on any one.

You need to define 'best' and what you want or can afford. They all have advantages and disadvantages. They all do free trials as well.

Road b
On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 at 10:01, James Henderson <jameshend...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would love to hear about anyone's experience with iOS and Android notifications.

Parse has closed for new registrations :(

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

James Henderson

Dec 7, 2016, 9:12:19 AM12/7/16
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob

[...]