Hello World Fails to Build -- problem with launch screens

dcor...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2017, 4:32:17 PM1/1/17
to phonegap
Hello,

I have previously successfully developed an iOS app using cordova 3.4.0 and Xcode 6.4 so I have done this before though I am not a professional app developer. I used older versions to stay compatible with iOS 5.1 (I was developing for a school with older equipment).

I am in the process of testing a new app I'm writing and found that this setup is not able to build for the newer versions of iOS8. (it builds for iOS7 simuators  but not 8)
I am guessing this is because the cordova version I'm using to too?

As a potential solution I installed cordova 6.4.0 and simply tried to build the default HelloWorld as follows but got the following messages in Xcode. (understanding that iOS5 is no longer an option).

This is on a MacBookPro
OSX 10.10.4 (Yosemite)

sudo npm install -g cordova

cordova -v   ---> returned 6.4.0

cordova create HelloWorld reversedomain.HelloWorld HelloWorld

cd HelloWorld

cordova platform add i...@4.3.1

I then opened the HelloWorld/platforms/ios/HelloWorld.xcodeproject in Xcode and tried to run it on one of the simulators.

The following issues arise when the build fails:

Illegal Configuration Launch Screens may not use instances of IBUIStoryboardEntryPontIndicator

Illegal Configuration Launch Screens may only have one top level object, which must be a UIView or a kind of UIViewController

Illegal Configuration Launch screens may not use instances of IBIUSceneExitPlaceholder

Do I need a newer version of Xcode?

Am I missing something silly?

This was simply attempting to run the out of the box HelloWorld on a simulator in Xcode 6.4.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Dan Cornfeld

Kerri Shotts

Jan 1, 2017, 9:34:15 PM1/1/17
to phonegap
Your version of Xcode is too old for modern Cordova -- the specific issue you're running into is because iOS 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 added support for launch storyboards (so that form factors like iPad Pro 12.9" can be supported). Xcode 6.4 has some support, but the format doesn't match what newer versions of Xcode use. You could try to remove the storyboard from the project, although there's no real support for that (and I think  the cli will put it back on your next prepare/build).

You need to update to Xcode 7 or better in order to use the most recent version of cordova-ios. You might be able to get by with downgrading cordova-ios to a version less than 4.3, but I wouldn't be surprised if you would still run into problems, and you'll still need a recent version of Xcode to specifically target newer iOS versions (especially if you want to use new features / form factors).