Best way to package phonegap app for Desktop use?

Michael Potter

Mar 31, 2011, 1:41:52 PM3/31/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
What is the best way to package a phonegap application that uses
JQuery Mobile to be used on a desktop.

Here are some considerations:
1) Is there a good way to do automatic updates?
2) It must run disconnected from the network.
3) I would like it to have an icon defined by me.
4) I would be okay to take time to create an install package for each
operating system (windows, mac osx, and linux), but it would be cool
if I could just use a common package for all.

--
Michael Potter

Robert Fletcher

Mar 31, 2011, 8:24:05 PM3/31/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
If you want to run an application on the desktop then don't use Phonegap.  Phonegap's purpose is to bridge the native functionality of a phone TO html, css, javascript.

Phonegap is tailored for phone use.

I would suggest Adobe AIR to make a desktop application -- you can program Adobe AIR apps with html,css, js as well. I would google that instead.

Rob

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com

Michael Potter

Mar 31, 2011, 11:06:52 PM3/31/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com, Robert Fletcher
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Michael Potter <mic...@potter.name> wrote:
>>
>> What is the best way to package a phonegap application that uses
>> JQuery Mobile to be used on a desktop.
>>
>> Here are some considerations:
>> 1) Is there a good way to do automatic updates?
>> 2) It must run disconnected from the network.
>> 3) I would like it to have an icon defined by me.
>> 4) I would be okay to take time to create an install package for each
>> operating system (windows, mac osx, and linux), but it would be cool
>> if I could just use a common package for all.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Potter
>>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Robert Fletcher <ijoe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to run an application on the desktop then don't use Phonegap.
>  Phonegap's purpose is to bridge the native functionality of a phone TO
> html, css, javascript.
> Phonegap is tailored for phone use.
> I would suggest Adobe AIR to make a desktop application -- you can program
> Adobe AIR apps with html,css, js as well. I would google that instead.
> Rob

I would like to run the same source on the desktop as I am running on
the iphone so I am going to continue to experiment. I may follow your
recommendation after I convince myself that what I am trying to do
will not work.

I do most of my testing in Chrome when I develop my iPhone app, I have
a hard time believing there is not a practical way to package the app
up and run it in the browser.

Here is what I tried so far:
1) I built a .mth file ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML ) using a
firefox plugin. The page was way messed up on IE and just a little
messed up on Firefox. By messed up I mean that the JQuery Mobile
graphics were displaying as a wireframe and were not active. By a
little messed up I mean that some of the divs were overlapping.

2) I just copied the www directory out of the phonegap project
directory and moved it to a different computer. It did not work on
IE, but it did work on Firefox. Does anyone have any insight as to
why it would not work on IE? I will do some experimenting and get a
better definition of "does not work". It just seems strange that IE
would not display the www/index.html file.

--
Michael Potter

Ron Braithwaite

Apr 1, 2011, 12:38:24 AM4/1/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com, Robert Fletcher

Michael, I for one am extremely interested in what you discover. I see no fundamental reason that the same approach used by the PhoneGap team wouldn't work well on the desktop. Wrap the WebKit core in an executable and stick in some support hooks to the JavaScript. I'm very interested in what you find as you experiment. Wish I had the time to help - maybe in a couple of months.

-Ron

--
This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Nick McCloud

Apr 1, 2011, 3:38:41 AM4/1/11
to phonegap
There is a basic PhoneGap for Mac OS - very little api support but it
does vanilla apps.

The tough bit is persuading Windows to use a WebKit browser because as
you discovered, IE ain't WebKit.

I have experimented with Air and think that if we have a project where
we have to deploy to desktop we'll have to setup a framework and
refactor for Windows.

On Apr 1, 5:38 am, Ron Braithwaite <r...@braithwaites.net> wrote:

> >> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Robert Fletcher <ijoer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If you want to run an application on the desktop then don't use Phonegap.
> >>  Phonegap's purpose is to bridge the native functionality of a phone TO
> >> html, css, javascript.
> >> Phonegap is tailored for phone use.
> >> I would suggest Adobe AIR to make a desktop application -- you can program
> >> Adobe AIR apps with html,css, js as well. I would google that instead.
> >> Rob
>
> > I would like to run the same source on the desktop as I am running on
> > the iphone so I am going to continue to experiment.  I may follow your
> > recommendation after I convince myself that what I am trying to do
> > will not work.
>
> > I do most of my testing in Chrome when I develop my iPhone app, I have
> > a hard time believing there is not a practical way to package the app
> > up and run it in the browser.
>
> > Here is what I tried so far:
> > 1) I built a .mth file (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML) using a

Robert Fletcher

Apr 1, 2011, 7:46:01 AM4/1/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com

It sounded like his app didn't use any hooks to the phone. So air should work for him in theory right?

Michael Potter

Apr 1, 2011, 9:19:23 AM4/1/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com, Robert Fletcher
Can you elaborate on Air just a bit?

Is you expectation that I can just pick up the contents of the www
directory, drop it into air and have it run?

Assuming that I take care not to call anything from phonegap.js.

--
Michael Potter

--
Michael Potter
Replatform Technologies, LLC

Michael Potter

Apr 28, 2011, 6:09:28 PM4/28/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Phonegap Crew,

I have been working with air just a bit.
It was a piece of cake to get my app running under air.
The only thing I do not like is the deploy to the field.
Air runtime is required for the app to run; the user is required to
download air before installing my app.

Adobe has a feature call "Badge Install" that allows me to make that "Seamless".
I am going to give that a try, but I have not found instructions that
are detailed enough for me.

Anyway, back to phonegap...

Is there any recent work to get phonegap to build a windows .exe?

--
Michael Potter

Mumuney Abdlquadri

Apr 29, 2011, 4:27:29 AM4/29/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
phonegap != desktopgap (just thinking)

Michael Potter

Jun 20, 2011, 11:10:44 PM6/20/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Just to get closure on this...

I did end up using air. It worked okay.

I liked that the testers could test the app on their desktop without
the pain of deploying to their phones. We got a lot of design details
out of the way before working on the handheld version.

I wonder if something could be built around chrome that would allow
chrome to be packaged around my .html/.js files and loaded like an
executable on windows/mac/linux.

@Mumuney: running a mobile app is useful on a desktop machine for
applications such as calculators. My app is basically a specialized
calculator. Not all mobile apps make sense to run on the desktop, but
my users are convinced that my app needs to run on the desktop.

--
Michael Potter

Dave Johnson

Jun 21, 2011, 3:56:15 AM6/21/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com

There is a rudimentary windows desktop version of phonegap that uses webkit.

https://github.com/davejohnson/phonegap-windows

If we could get some love on it then we could think about moving it into the phonegap project proper!

Mumuney Abdlquadri

Jun 21, 2011, 10:50:14 AM6/21/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com

Ben Dwyer

Sep 27, 2013, 10:06:57 AM9/27/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com, mic...@potter.name
How about using titanium desktop?

Sundeep Nerlakanti

Oct 2, 2013, 4:18:49 AM10/2/13
to phon...@googlegroups.com, Robert Fletcher, mic...@potter.name
I have built a desktop app using TideSDK. Pretty simple I felt.

mnz hz

Apr 13, 2015, 7:28:31 PM4/13/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
seems there is phonegap desktop project, can this be used on desktop?

Jesse Monroy

Apr 25, 2015, 7:58:50 PM4/25/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Guys,
this thread is over 4 years old. Date is on the top right.

Jesse