SNS Mobile Push & phonegap

Dublogic gr

Feb 13, 2014, 2:48:30 PM2/13/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi - we are looking to use the AWS push service for our app  - our app is developed on phonegap and we already use the urban airship plugin for phonegap  - we contacted AWS and asked if they had a similar plugin but they said no  which is not a biggie however I was wondering if anyone had integrated Phonegap with AWS push (aka sns)  or had come across any docs on this? btw here is more info is you are interested http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/13/amazons-aws-now-offers-a-push-notification-service-for-ios-android-and-kindle-apps-widening-its-toolkit-for-mobile-developers/

cheers, Garrett

Eric DeCoff

Nov 13, 2014, 9:33:10 PM11/13/14
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Garrett...

Did you find a solution?

Riccardo Amadi

Mar 27, 2015, 2:23:05 PM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Garrett + Eric DeCoff...

Did you find any solution ?

mharr

Mar 28, 2015, 11:53:42 AM3/28/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Amazon's Developer Docs specifically show how to use the standard Cordova Push Notifications plugin with ADN: https://developer.amazon.com/appsandservices/community/post/Tx17CAREHZUWLH9/Getting-started-with-the-Cordova-Push-Notifications-Plugin-for-Amazon-Fire-OS

Is this what you mean by "AWS Push Service"?  I'm not aware of any other.

Riccardo Amadi

Mar 30, 2015, 9:05:53 AM3/30/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I was actually talking about amazon SNS, a collector of other push services http://aws.amazon.com/sns/ .

The plugin you suggested actually makes you link ADM or other push services such as GCM and APNS (as SNS do but in a different way) the main difference is the pricing and the use of amazon SNS APIs.

mharr

Mar 30, 2015, 9:33:27 AM3/30/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I see; I was not aware of that service.  However, looking over the docs at the link you provide, it looks like its no difference for the mobile device.  Mobile apps would still register with the native platform push notification service, store that at your server service, and receive messages from the native platform push notification service.  That plugin would still be Phonegap interface for these operations.  The only difference would be, from your publishing side on the server, using Amazon SNS instead of separate platform services.

mharr

Mar 30, 2015, 9:48:56 AM3/30/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Also, I have done the same using Microsoft's Azure Mobile Services, which offers a similar cross-platform services.  The process is the same: using the standard push notification service registration and handling on the mobile client, save the device registration id and device type on your cloud service, and use the provide api to send cross-platform messages.

Riccardo Amadi

Mar 31, 2015, 6:45:40 AM3/31/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I see, so i can use the PGB plugin to register the devices while i publish the messages to push via amazon SNS APIs. Thanks a lot for your answers, i'm trying to make this work now, let's see if i can manage...