Retrieving the keystore file from a signing key (Android)

Daniel Tromp

Nov 26, 2015, 1:15:18 PM11/26/15
to phonegap
Hi Guys,

I am currently sitting with an issue where I need the key hash for my PhoneGap solution but I have misplaced the keystore file..

Luckily I have the signing key still active which I was able to use to get my updated version uploaded to the Google play store.

Is there any way I can retrieve my keystore file from the signing key?

I desperately need it..

Jesse Monroy

Nov 28, 2015, 1:19:27 AM11/28/15
to phonegap
@Daniel,
You are not the first person to "desperately" need it. Apps are signing is done with public and private key. The private key is your security. The private key is supposed to be in a secure, safe, and remote location. If you lose your private key, then you have lost the key to re-enter you App.

Even if you had built the app on *Phonegap Build* you cannot get your key back, as this would totally defeat the reason you have a public and private key. In other words, the entire reason there is a public and private key, is so the identity of you app cannot be compromised.

In short, if you lost the private key, you are screwed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography

Best of Luck
Jesse

Daniel Tromp

Dec 3, 2015, 7:13:06 AM12/3/15
to phonegap
@Jesse,

Yeah Google said the same thing to me.. Oh well was worth  a shot.

Thanks for your reply