Console Logs revealing anything on why my app crashes my phones?

kazar54

Nov 18, 2015, 9:47:43 PM11/18/15
to phonegap
Can anyone in the phonegap world help interpret these console logs from two different phones while connected to XCode.  One of the phones the app does not crash the other phone crashes every time the app is opened.

iphone that DID NOT crash:

Nov 18 14:07:32 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Apache Cordova native platform version 3.6.3 is starting.

Nov 18 14:07:32 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Multi-tasking -> Device: YES, App: YES

Nov 18 14:07:32 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Unlimited access to network resources

Nov 18 14:07:33 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Resetting plugins due to page load.

Nov 18 14:07:35 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Finished load of: file:///var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/73ADC0DA-4EDE-4F39-A602-5A12831B1E39/WatertankMath.app/www/index.html

Nov 18 14:07:35 iPhone MobileSMS[11320] : Received memory warning.

Nov 18 14:07:50 iPhone WatertankMath[11438] : Resetting plugins due to page load.

iphone app DOES crash:

Nov 18 13:47:41 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Apache Cordova native platform version 3.6.3 is starting.

Nov 18 13:47:41 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Multi-tasking -> Device: YES, App: YES

Nov 18 13:47:41 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Unlimited access to network resources

Nov 18 13:47:41 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Resetting plugins due to page load.

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Finished load of: file:///var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/23E05609-E3C0-4411-82CD- D4783EB39D38/WatertankMath.app/www/index.html

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.137242]: Enable WoW requested by "apsd"

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.139998]: Unable to dispatch WowStateChanged message to client profiled (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.140250]: Unable to dispatch WowStateChanged message to client itunesstored (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.140816]: Unable to dispatch WowStateChanged message to client softwareupdatese (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.141015]: Unable to dispatch WowStateChanged message to client dataaccessd (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.141179]: Unable to dispatch WowStateChanged message to client dataaccessd (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone wifid[75] : WiFi:[469568862.141567]: Unable dispatch WowStateChanged message to client assistantd (268435460)

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone ReportCrash[740] : platform_thread_get_unique_id matched 310171

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone ReportCrash[740] : Formulating report for process[731] SpringBoard

Nov 18 13:47:42 Tracies-iPhone ReportCrash[740] : report not saved because it is non-actionable

Nov 18 13:47:44 Tracies-iPhone mediaserverd[44] : '' (pid = 731) setting DiscoveryMode = DiscoveryMode_None, currentDiscoveryMode = DiscoveryMode_None

Nov 18 13:47:44 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : XPC connection interrupted

Nov 18 13:47:44 Tracies-iPhone WatertankMath[739] : Terminating since there is no system app.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 18, 2015, 10:33:00 PM11/18/15
to phonegap
It appears that WoW is having trouble writing it's log records, and therefore crashes.

My wild guess is that Tracies-iPhone is running a different version of iOS, likely iOS9.

Jesse

kazar54

Nov 18, 2015, 10:39:22 PM11/18/15
to phonegap
Any idea what Wow is referring to?  Both iphones actually have iOS 9.1 on them.  Tracies is an iphone 5 and the other is an iphone 4s.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 19, 2015, 12:44:42 AM11/19/15
to phonegap
None. Maybe someone else does.

However, you will want to get the iOS version for both phones. iOS9 has new security restrictions - and it has many, many apps failing (and some rewriting).

Best of Luck
Jesse

Kerri Shotts

Nov 19, 2015, 1:38:45 PM11/19/15
to phonegap
When the app crashes, does it look like the device reboots? Does it continue to do so after manually rebooting the device (sometimes that really does make a difference!)

I did a Google search on "Terminating since there is no system app", and this looked interesting: http://maruhgar.blogspot.com/2015/03/cordova-ios-app-and-os-reboot-on-first.html

Also: you're getting a memory warning in the first log. Careful with that -- running out of memory is a great reason for the OS terminating your app.

kazar54

Nov 19, 2015, 2:09:36 PM11/19/15
to phonegap
When the app crashes it does look like the phone reboots.  It also crashes after both a soft and hard restart of the device.  My sister has an iphone 6 with iOS 9.1 running on it and it will crash when my sister initially opens the app.  After the initial trial of opening it and it 'crashes' she can try to open the app again and it will open just fine.  On hers for some reason you get just a glimpse of the splash screen and it is stretched vertically to so it is distorted.  On my iphone 4s and ipad 2, both with iOS 9.1 running on it, they will never crash and I never see any glimpse of a splash screen icon.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 19, 2015, 4:58:47 PM11/19/15
to phonegap
@kazar54,
It appears that Kerri has a real find. You have the error "Terminating since there is no system app."

The solution was to make sure that all Splash screen images have the  correct size.
This means you MUST have the correct splash screen image for every model.
If you splash screen image is TOO big, you app will crash.

Can you check this?

Jesse

kazar54

Nov 19, 2015, 9:23:35 PM11/19/15
to phonegap
Thanks Kerri and Jesse!!
We took a look and sure enough the splash screens were 10000x10000:-)  I got online and used a program to resize them to the correct iphone and ipad sizes designated by Phonegap.  We rebuilt the zip file on PGB and the phones that were crashing were able to open the app right up...and for the first time the splash screen appeared!!  We then took the steps to submit it to itunes connect and the app is now 'waiting in review' on the app store.  We are obviously hoping it gets approved again and then that we see the the app update through the App Store and hopefully everyones device will then be able to open the app!  I'll update this post so everyone knows if the splash screens were in fact the issue like the post Kerri mentioned.
Jason

Jesse Monroy

Nov 19, 2015, 10:09:24 PM11/19/15
to phonegap
Kerri or jcesarmobile,
would either of you like to do this bug on Jira?
I can, of course, but I have my plate full. If both you are busy, then I'll get it.

Acknowledge please.
Jesse

jcesarmobile

Nov 20, 2015, 2:33:41 AM11/20/15
to phonegap
He is using phonegap build, so the issue might not be on cordova
Anyway, not using the correct size is really a bug?

Jesse Monroy

Nov 20, 2015, 5:01:02 PM11/20/15
to phonegap
Yes. It's A HUGE BUG.

In theory, you could write as large image file (JPG or PNG ) that overwrites system memory and possibly even the stack. And as the blog states,

We clicked on the app icon and then we saw a blank screen followed by the apple logo - indicating an OS restart.

So, in theory, at this point the a malicious person could craft the pointer that would run another app in place of the intended app. Again, in theroy, this would allow trojan apps.

Jesse

jcesarmobile

Nov 21, 2015, 6:43:15 AM11/21/15
to phonegap
I asked on the cordova slack and I got an answer, "Image size should be checked, if possible… it’s a warning/error in iOS at the very least, so..."

So, feel free to file the jira issue

BTW, I think you are doing the things in the wrong way, you ask kerri and me to file the issue because "your plate is full", but you go and create a new thread on the phonegap build forum ( http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/another-nasty-ios-bug-it-involves-splash-screens )
When you find a bug you have to file it on the jira page so it can be fixed, not on forums so anyone can see it and "exploit" it. If your plate is full and you don't have time to report it to jira, then you shouldn't have time to post it on the forum, but you did. If you had time to report it on the forum, you should have reported it on the jira page before. How much time does it takes to copy and paste the same message you used on the forum post?

It's not the first time that you "report" bugs, or complain about bad documentation on forums, but you have just opened one issue on jira. The forums aren't the place to report as most part of the cordova team won't read them and will never know that something is wrong if you don't tell them.

I see that you are trying to help, your FAQ and other posts are highly appreciated by cordova and phonegap teams, but the relative to bugs and documentation problems, you are doing it wrong, I expect you to start reporting them to the right place, and once you do it, you can report it on forums if you like, but with a link to the issue so people can track the statate of the bug easily.

Jesse Monroy

Nov 21, 2015, 4:04:33 PM11/21/15
to phonegap
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 4:43:15 AM UTC-7, jcesarmobile wrote:
I asked on the cordova slack and I got an answer, "Image size should be checked, if possible… it’s a warning/error in iOS at the very least, so..."

So, feel free to file the jira issue

BTW, I think you are doing the things in the wrong way, you ask kerri and me to file the issue because "your plate is full", but you go and create a new thread on the phonegap build forum ( http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/another-nasty-ios-bug-it-involves-splash-screens )
When you find a bug you have to file it on the jira page so it can be fixed, not on forums so anyone can see it and "exploit" it.
Completely disagree. Bug reporting as you suggest only allows developers to delay the appropriate work. If placed in a commercial environment, the calculated decision of the manager is to NOT fix the bug. Their bonuses are based on delivering features, not quality of work. Placing the bug in an open forum gets them to move their arse.

If your plate is full and you don't have time to report it to jira, then you shouldn't have time to post it on the forum, but you did. If you had time to report it on the forum, you should have reported it on the jira page before. How much time does it takes to copy and paste the same message you used on the forum post?

You are side stepping this issue because it makes you uncomfortable. It's best you avoid this argument.

It's not the first time that you "report" bugs, or complain about bad documentation on forums, but you have just opened one issue on jira. The forums aren't the place to report as most part of the cordova team won't read them and will never know that something is wrong if you don't tell them.

I know very well that the development teams do not read (or very rarely read) the forums.

I see that you are trying to help, your FAQ and other posts are highly appreciated by cordova and phonegap teams, but the relative to bugs and documentation problems, you are doing it wrong, I expect you to start reporting them to the right place, and once you do it, you can report it on forums if you like, but with a link to the issue so people can track the statate of the bug easily.

jcesarmobile, I know you are smart person, but you are naive.

I'll report the issue.

Best of Luck
Jesse

Jesse Monroy

Nov 21, 2015, 4:05:24 PM11/21/15
to phonegap
@jcesarmobile
Ohhh.... sorry.

thanks for your helps, comments and feedback.

Jesse

jcesarmobile

Nov 21, 2015, 6:22:48 PM11/21/15
to phonegap
Cordova is open source and developed by volunteers like myself, some companys have people contributing (adobe, microsoft, ibm, intel, ect) but I doubt they will fix before issues reported on forums that issues in jira

kazar54

Nov 25, 2015, 11:01:56 PM11/25/15
to phonegap
I wanted to let everyone know that I had made the changes to my splash screen files and rebuilt with PG Build.  We resubmitted to the app store and got approved today.  As the update went out to all the users who had experienced crashes the app worked great!  The splash screen now appears for a short time and then the app opens.  I hope this helps anyone else who may run into this issue.  I did get an response from another online thread and was wondering if you all might not mind commenting on it...

Remove your splash screens. They are not need to run the app
and they are not need to run the test. Remove the images from the app and remove the lines in the config.xml list the splash screens.

Is it in fact true you don't need the splash screens?

Thanks again for your help on the issue I originally had, I am glad my app now works and that it came down to just making sure I had the right splash screen file sizes in the config file.

Kerri Shotts

Nov 26, 2015, 1:47:24 AM11/26/15
to phonegap
Glad you got it sorted.

Well, Android technically doesn't require launch screens, so yeah -- you can get rid of them and the app (on Android) will be just fine. I don't recommend it, since you might see some flashing while the webview is initializing prior to your app being loaded.

iOS, however, requires them. Last I knew, If you didn't have them, Apple would reject your app. Now, the complexity of your launch screens doesn't need to be huge -- one of my apps uses literally a solid color for the launch screens, and it went through OK. Furthermore, it shouldn't appreciably affect the load time, since the OS manages the initial load of the launch screen. (There may be a delay once your app takes over control of the launch screen, but it's not appreciable, and I'd prefer using it to hide any nasty initialization going on behind-the-scenes.)

[Alternatively you can use launch storyboards for recent iOS versions. I haven't tried those yet.]