Want mobile app for my joomla social site

Avinash jaiswal

Mar 27, 2015, 10:33:55 AM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I want to build a mobile app, that  can easily install it on any platform. Android, Blackberry or ios.
I want this app to be able to perform CRUD - in close connection with my joomla site.
The Joomla site is already completed, its a social network. I need this app to be able to retrieve information such as profile pictures, messages e.t.c and then be able to upload pictures, send messages and use the geolocation api.

Thanks,
Avinash Jaiswal

Steve Husting

Mar 27, 2015, 11:20:37 AM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Some of these developers should be able to make it:
http://people.phonegap.com

Jasper van Kordelaar

Mar 27, 2015, 11:30:00 AM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What social platform are you running? Jomsocial / Easysocial ?
As almost all templates are responsive you probably save a lot of money by just sending out a "browser only" app to the markets which just load your website (i have done that mutliple times)

Jasper

Tanase Butcaru

Mar 27, 2015, 1:44:28 PM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

All you need is someone who has good knowledge of Joomla! & maybe familiarized with the social networking extension you are using (not really required, but would be great) in order to create a API (sync app-to-web & web-to-app actions).

@Jasper's idea is good, but I don't think it is realable for a social networking website, because of the following:
1. on the web you have a lot of data displaying to the users (modules, plugins, all kind of content) and that may slow down the application.
2. being a social networking, probably you offer some features like realtime chat, or audio/video call and that may not be supported by the current version of Android's webView (for eg.) and you have to install some additional plugins and change the way you use that feature;
4. you don't want to display all web features/pages;
3. any other html/js new technologies that are not supported by older versions of android/bb/ios and need additional work.

Jasper

Mar 27, 2015, 3:26:01 PM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes you are right. But.... if you are working with jomsocial / easysocial you have no control over the speed and changes of that platform. Also, the components do not provide any API. So you probably need to code an API + app together. I have developped an app on a popular Joomla component which costs me over 10.000 and it functions but i need to skipp it later this year because i can't get up with all the upgrade speed the component has.

A lot of frameworks offer mobile view access where you can en-/disable certain modules. Anyways, it's a cheap solution :-)

Jasper van Kordelaar

Mar 27, 2015, 3:26:07 PM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes you are right. But.... if you are working with jomsocial / easysocial you have no control over the speed and changes of that platform. Also, the components do not provide any API. So you probably need to code an API + app together. I have developped an app on a popular Joomla component which costs me over 10.000 and it functions but i need to skipp it later this year because i can't get up with all the upgrade speed the component has.

A lot of frameworks offer mobile view access where you can en-/disable certain modules. Anyways, it's a cheap solution :-)

Jasper

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Tanase Butcaru

Mar 27, 2015, 3:43:13 PM3/27/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
If you want to do upgrades to Joomla! & extensions (which is recommended if the support has ended), it would be expensive to maintain the compatibility with the app & API. For updates I think it would be easier, as they don't add new features (at least Joomla! CMS doesn't add new features within updates - i know it has starting 2.5, but there were just a couple), but still the developer would have to verify each update changelog.

Yes, you'll have to code the API & app together.