Can't use ajax from PhoneGap app - Security error: DOM Exception 18

jeff davidson

Jul 3, 2015, 3:56:44 PM7/3/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am having trouble using an ajax callback from a Phone Gap project.

I am using Xcode on a Mac with Cordova and can run my app on both my iPhone and desktop iPhone simulator.  The problem is that when the app makes an ajax request, a security error is thrown.  I have made all of the corrections required for CORS:

      Server side header:
      header('Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *');
      header('Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true');'

      <access origin="*" />
      <access origin="http://*" />
      <access origin="https://*" />

I have successfully gotten the app to work using the PhoneGap desktop simulator

jeff davidson

Jul 3, 2015, 4:14:43 PM7/3/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
(continued)

I also included the follow Javascript lines in the app just prior to making the Ajax call:

          $.support.cors = true;
          $.mobile.allowCrossDomainPages = true;

I have googled and googled and not come across any solutions!?

Thanks!

Rob Willett

Jul 3, 2015, 4:39:56 PM7/3/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Have you setup a whitelist in config.xml ?

Have you loaded the whitelist plugin?

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

jeff davidson

Jul 3, 2015, 4:56:32 PM7/3/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
These lines are in config.xml:

  <access origin="*" />
      <access origin="http://*" />
      <access origin="https://*" />
      <access origin='www.mydomain.com'>

Isn't that how one whitelists?

Thx

Kerri Shotts

Rob Willett

Jul 5, 2015, 4:51:44 AM7/5/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Whitelisting varies depending on which version of Cordova you are using.

For Cordova V5 (v4?) you need to use a plugin in as well.

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 4:34:26 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob.

I am using Cordova 5.1.  In Xcode, under the CordovaLib.xcodeproj there is a folder called Commands with two files - CDVWhitelist.h & CDVWhitelist.c.  I believe those are the plug-ins?  Do you know how to configure them?

Thx!!
Thx

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/phonegap?hl=en?hl=en

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go to www.phonegap.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Steve Sobol - Lobos Studios

Jul 6, 2015, 4:38:40 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
No, those are source files... have you checked out https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-whitelist ??
--
Lobos Studios - Website and Mobile App Design & Development; IT Support; Computer Maintenance
Toll Free  877.919.4WEB - Apple Valley 760.684.8859 - Los Angeles 310.945.2410 - Cleveland 216.242.4010

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 4:41:02 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'm sadly back at the computer.

There is no need to even look at the files in Xcode. I've certainly never bothered ;)

You need to do is install the plugin and add the <access origin="whatever"> to your config.xml file.

Have you read the following link?

Rob

Thx

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 4:41:03 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Rats, Steve beat me to it!

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 4:42:02 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Yes, I put CDVNavigationWhitelistPlugin.h & CDVNavigationWhitelistPlugin.m in the Plugins folder.  Do I need to also add the whitelist.js?  Anything else?

Thanks!

jeff davidson wrote:
Thx
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "phonegap" group.

Steve Sobol - Lobos Studios

Jul 6, 2015, 4:44:10 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I did, but I think yours is actually the correct URL. I had the older one on Github.

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 4:48:29 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Why are you manually installing anything?

I was just looking through the documentation and realised there are NO installation instructions or advice at all. Pretty poor I supposed, however a search on Google shows a few pages of how to install from the command line.

Rob

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 4:50:54 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I'm using iOS.  I tried this:

>cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.whitelist

which seems to have installed something, but I'm getting the same error

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 4:53:12 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I also tried:

>cordova plugin add cordova-plug...@1.0.0

still no luck

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 4:56:08 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

If you do cordova plugin list what do you get?

I know that the server side is a PITA. My server is a Perl server using Mojolicious and took a LOT of work to get CORS setup and working.

However on the client side, we did nothing but install the plugin and setup the <access flags>.  We didn't do the Javascript changes that you're making.

Rob

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 4:59:24 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I also recall that we spent a long time looking at the raw headers trying to make head or tail of CORS and how its supposed to work. I think that showed us where the problem was but I certainly know it was a pain to do, regardless of how easy people say it is.

Rob

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 5:00:09 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I looked inside of the Javascript file, it simply checks to insure the existence of the following meta-tag:

>cordova plugin list, I do see:

cordova-plugin-whitelist 1.0.0 "Whitelist"

So it looks like

>cordova plugin add cordova-plug...@1.0.0

was the correct way to install.  Now I just need it to work!!!!

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 5:01:56 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Looking at raw headers is out of my league!

Can you explain the difference in Xcode between the Staging folder and the www folder?  maybe my issue has something to do with the fact that the codebase in each are different until I run on device, the Staging updates to be the same as www

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 5:02:57 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked server side to see if thats OK? What web server are you using. if you're using Perl and Mojolicous then I can help :)

Thats the bit I'd look at next. I'd look at the headers using Firefox or Chrome to see how far you get.

Rob

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 5:05:29 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I'm using php to serve and I know it's working because I have gotten my code to work with the PhoneGap desktop app, I simply had to add a couple of headers to the json output.

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 5:06:22 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Looking at raw headers is pretty simple to be honest. Fire up firefox and run your app from that. Look in the Console and you can track the AJAX requests, simply click on the right ones and look at the error code and whats inside. Its really easy and even if you don't understand all the details you can see the errors.

Never looked at the staging folder and www folder so no idea to be honest. We just use Xcode to do the final compile and install to the iOS device and for console logging. We have done some odd memory checks with it but 99% off our work is done outside of Xcode. Xcode is really a debugging and delivery tool. We never write code in it and hopefully never will.

Rob

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 5:06:53 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
These are the headers:

header('Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *');
header('Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true');

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 5:09:43 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering if your PHP server really was serving CORS correctly.

I thought CORS was for cross domain browsing and so if the app was on the same domain then CORS doesn't kick in. That might be completely wrong, Steve might have a better idea.

Are they one the same domain?

Rob

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 5:11:29 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I've never setup CORS on a PHP server so am struggling. My Perl script has slightly different setup

Rob Willett

Jul 6, 2015, 5:13:42 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
Pressed the wrong button by mistake,.

My Perl script has this.

plugin 'SecureCORS', { max_age => 1728000 };

app->routes->cors('/*');

under '/*' => {
    'cors.origin'   => '*',
    'cors.headers'  => 'Content-Type',
};

I think the biggest difference is the Content-Type flag passed back BUT this is from a wholly different type of web server and I'm not sure they have any resemblance at all.

Are there any CORS websites that can check your server?

Rob

jeff davidson

Jul 6, 2015, 5:19:18 PM7/6/15
to phon...@googlegroups.com
No - one is running on a server and the other on my laptop.  I had to add CORS stuff to get it to work with PhoneGap desktop.

I also can't get the app to run on Firefox by launching index.html.   window.openDatabase gives me an error

Kerri Shotts

jeff davidson