PhillyJS website

reedlauber

Jul 20, 2012, 1:49:02 PM7/20/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much to everyone who came out on Tuesday night. I'm excited to keep some momentum going in this group.

I had an idea while I was sitting there watching the talks. I've been wanting to get off of meetup.com for a long time. Let's just say, I'm not a fan.

I'd like to move the things meetup provides elsewhere, and I think that means building something. The basic things that meetup provides are a user directory + signup and some kind of events calendar. All discussion should happen on this group, so I don't really think that's needed in a replacement.

So, this idea I had was that we could build it together. Perhaps there are a few among you who would be happy to contribute a few hours to making this happen.

It also occurred to me that this might work well with the idea of a talk around how a simple app is constructed. It could be built with Require and Backbone, or whatever, and then we could use it as the example for a talk.

I was imaging building the backend in Rails, 'cause... that's how I roll these days.

Let me know if you're interested in participating.

Thanks,
Reed

Gabriel Farrell

Jul 20, 2012, 3:40:14 PM7/20/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, let's ditch meetup.

Building something could turn into a big undertaking. I've gotten
bogged down in scheduling systems before, but a big part of that was
recurring events. User interfaces and business logic for recurring
events are hard! At least we wouldn't have to worry about that. Still,
it might be a good idea to depend on Google Calendar in some way for
events.