Re: Topic Suggestion for Next Meetup

reedlauber

Jul 18, 2012, 10:32:14 AM7/18/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
I think that's a great idea. I've always wanted to have more discussion around how people actually build their projects in addition to the more common "check out this new library" talks.

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Josh Kodroff wrote:
Meetup last night was great!  Thanks to all who presented, hosted, or otherwise contributed to a fun and informative experience!

For the next meetup, I'd be very interested in seeing a simple app developed from near-scratch (with the RESTful API already done) with either Knockout or Backbone (or a similar framework).

Does this pique anyone else's interest?

Jennifer Rubinovitz

Jul 18, 2012, 11:07:23 AM7/18/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
I'd be down. I'm from Philly natively and at Skillshare this summer porting them to Require.js and converting a ton of stuff to Backbone.js and would love to talk Backbone + Require.

--
Jennifer Rubinovitz

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Rob Smith wrote:

Good idea. The Lehigh Valley JS recently had a hack night around Require.JS and Backbone. Perhaps we could do something similar?

Dan Donahue

Jul 18, 2012, 11:06:10 AM7/18/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
Definitely interested in that. I would like to hear more about Backbone and I prefer this style of talks - where you can watch someone dig into code.

Josh Kodroff

Jul 18, 2012, 1:51:08 PM7/18/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
Would it be feasible to do a demo against a public, well-known API, e.g. GitHub or Twitter?

Also, I'd be very interested in seeing someone do something with WinRT (the Windows 8 native API, which supports JS as a first-class language).  I've got it in my mind that I'd like to do a WinRT-based replacement for Pidgin, whose UI hasn't really kept up with the times.  Of course, I'd need a copy of Windows 8 first...

Jennifer Rubinovitz

Jul 18, 2012, 1:57:51 PM7/18/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
I've been playing with Foursquare + Backbone.js + Require.js and it has been working. Twitter API is really difficult since the documentation is poor, I haven't touched Github.

--
Jennifer Rubinovitz

Gabriel Farrell

Jul 19, 2012, 5:02:56 PM7/19/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
Agreed that digging into code is great. I've been involved in some
pretty frustrating development with Backbone, so I'm excited to learn
about triumphs and failures others have had in working with
Backbone and other client-side frameworks.

John Ashmead

Jul 23, 2012, 1:54:22 PM7/23/12
to phil...@googlegroups.com
I'd very much like to see require.js & backbone.js in action as well;
currently building with backbone.js, looking to use require.js as well.

On Jul 18, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Rob Smith wrote:

> Good idea. The Lehigh Valley JS recently had a hack night around
> Require.JS and Backbone. Perhaps we could do something similar?
>
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Josh Kodroff wrote:
> Meetup last night was great! Thanks to all who presented, hosted,
> or otherwise contributed to a fun and informative experience!
>
> For the next meetup, I'd be very interested in seeing a simple app
> developed from near-scratch (with the RESTful API already done) with
> either Knockout or Backbone (or a similar framework).
>
> Does this pique anyone else's interest?

John Ashmead
139 Montrose Avenue
Rosemont, PA, 19010-1508