Looking for local android apps for an app store

Jim Ayson

Feb 9, 2012, 12:06:16 AM2/9/12
to philippine-and...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, Droids -

We are putting up an app store here at Smart and I'd like to invite
the local android community to contribute Free apps to our app store
opening soon. The site isn't up yet so I'd like to hear from you by
email so we can find out more about your apps. Free apps for now but
we will be giving local developers access to a charging API soon so
your app can monetize directly.

Please email me here at my Gmail account or via jda...@smart.com.ph

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Ayson

Feb 9, 2012, 5:31:08 AM2/9/12
to philippine-and...@googlegroups.com
Floyd Piedad wrote me asking "How will we protect the apps from
piracy?" I was writing a reply and then pressed something and the
message went down a Gmail hole so I'm replying in public.

First of all the apps we're looking for the opening of the app store
are all free. If the apps are free to distribute, piracy is a
non-issue, you should encourage more people to copy your app and
spread it.

Secondly, here is my personal philosophy on monetizing apps: Keep the
apps free to download and monetize through subscription or in-app
purchases. That's how free Zynga game apps operate - the app itself is
free but generates revenue everytime you buy a game item. There are
mobile operator APIs that allow you to do in-app carrier billing so
the app generates the developer revenue. Ask me about that later.

Of course the other revenue source is advertising, but good luck on
making significant revenue on in-app ads in the PH. I think
Transactional revenue is the way to go. Or you can combine
transactional revenue with advertising revenue and make more money.

Free distribution nullifies the whole piracy argument.

Of course we will eventually enable paid downloads in our app store
for those developers who prefer that. But if you ask me, I think
in-app monetization is the way to go. It breaks down the psychological
barrier that users have that prevents them from downloading paid apps
and allows you to get more downloads.

jim

Rafael Ripoll

Feb 9, 2012, 10:28:38 AM2/9/12
to philippine-and...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree with you on that... Piracy is a non-issue... And also agree on the revenue avenue you have mentioned, although there is hope in the PH to generate significant revenue from Advertising, i am currently developing an app in this blend of revenue stream and found a way to make it worthwhile. Hopefully be showcasing this very soon :)

Rafael

jim

Rafael "AFAI" Ripoll
FRUX INFINITUS

Jim Ayson

Feb 9, 2012, 6:53:06 PM2/9/12
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Rafael Ripoll <rafael...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to agree with you on that... Piracy is a non-issue... And also agree
> on the revenue avenue you have mentioned, although there is hope in the PH
> to generate significant revenue from Advertising, i am currently developing
> an app in this blend of revenue stream and found a way to make it
> worthwhile. Hopefully be showcasing this very soon :)

Hi Rafael -

That's cool to know, hope to hear about your app very soon!

By the way, I am not anti-advertising, I think that some pinoy
developers who have uploaded free apps on android marketplace that
have done in-app ads via AdMob are doing pretty good, especially if
the app gets a good global following. But there needs to be an
alternative monetization option, not put all your eggs in the
advertising basket and hope for hits.

Since only a minority of mobiel users have credit cards (especially in
countries like the Philippines), I think in-app charging via carrier
billing is the way to go. This means your users can pay for in-app
purchases or subscriptions via e-load (for prepaid users) or are
billed on their phone bill (for postpaid users).

I hope to be able to talk about Smart's own operator billing APIs
soon. But for now we have a WAC Network API for carrier billing that
we have asked a few local apps developers to try out. It works locally
on SMART, and because WAC is a global consortium of mobile carriers,
it also works in other carriers like AT&T, NTT Docomo, etc (I'll post
the list here later). So you write one android app and it will do
carrier charging on many carriers.

More info here: http://www.wacapps.net

Jim

jim

Rafael Ripoll

Feb 9, 2012, 8:55:10 PM2/9/12
to philippine-and...@googlegroups.com
hi Jim,

Your going to love my app as it addresses the issue about mobile users not having the credits for the revenue stream... I don't want to add anymore and spoil the surprise. Hope to get this up and going very soon... I have a question been trying to get some stats on Smart subscribers who use iOS/Android mobile devices since the last 2 quarters of 2011 and subscribers who have availed of unli data plans and estimated number of Smart Bro Users from Tina Silva of Mobile Advertising - Digital Media in Smart. Need tese stats to better get clients for my projects as it will give me the concrete data on the progress of these platforms.

Thanks,

Rafael

jim

Troy Borja