Snap packages for Linux users

Michael Hall

May 10, 2017, 12:55:15 PM5/10/17
to phantomjs
Hi everyone,

I think Linux users would benefit from having Snap packages of PhantomJS available for easy installs and updates.

Snaps are self-contained application bundles that can be installed on the most popular Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Arch, without having to build separate versions for each one. They also give users immediate updates as soon as you publish a new release, without them having to manually download and unpack it.

The Snapcraft tool makes it easy to build snaps, either from source or release tarballs. There is also a free build-hosting service at build.snapcraft.io that lets you setup automatic builds for every Github commit. The Snap Store lets you separate these daily builds into an "edge" channel that early adopters can subscribe to, and then manually promoting official release builds into the public "stable" channel.

If anybody is interested, you can find documentation and examples on snapcraft.io and ask questions on forum.snapcraft.io

Sean McNamara

May 10, 2017, 2:19:04 PM5/10/17
to phan...@googlegroups.com
PhantomJS needs a maintainer to ensure it has a future before thinking about packaging.

Also it is being made redundant by Chrome and Firefox headless support coming soon.

I'm all for continued support of something people find useful, but I'm not hopeful that much will occur to move PhantomJS forward unless it gets a dedicated maintainer again.

Sean